Friday, June 20, 2008

What to do, what to do?

I heard someone say once that the things you have to do expand to fill the time you have to do them.  I didn't really understand the reality of that until, for the first time in 38 years, I had lots of time. In years past I would stop by the store on my way home from school; it took 20 minutes or so.  Now I can spend 45 minutes and buy exactly the same number of things.  

I used to decide what to prepare for dinner and have it on the table within about 45 minutes.  Now even thinking about what to cook takes ages longer than that.  I have to admit that I do like the dinner prep time.  I think the meals are more often better too.

It takes ages longer for errands because I don't have to hurry--no one cares.  I have decided that I probably need a new, interesting hobby.  I read like crazy (thank heavens for our fabulous county library system); I can knit and crochet but I like to have a purpose and I need to be in the mood; I'm not interested in learning to quilt or scrapbook; I've taken water color lessons but didn't love it enough to do it on my own; and I had to give up horse riding when we moved to the city and sold my mare.  I'm thinking about taking classes in various things, but right now I travel between cities so it's kind of tricky.  Maybe once I'm in one place, things will pop up.  Any other suggestions?

6 comments:

Kay said...

Gosh, Jo! I don't know. I'll have the same problem. We will be keeping busy because we have to finish refurbishing the house in Hawaii but once that's finished I'm thinking of starting painting for pleasure again. Maybe I'll try learning to play the guitar again, too. I'm also planning to get all our photos in order and label them for the grandchildren. Maybe I'll substitute teach... I don't know. I'll be looking forward to hearing what you decide.

Rambling Woods said...

Jo...I agree with you..more time means less getting accomplished. I can't believe that I once taught, took classes, took care of a house etc. Now I can't even do my own house cleaning, a friend helps. But I decided to use the time doing something I enjoyed. You'll find things..maybe something new.

dellgirl said...

You have summed it up very well. I second everything. The difference for me though is, (and my daughter Jordyn and I talk about this often)I have always been a "starter". I start things and if family matters or the like distract me, I very seldom get back to it. It made me realize I wouldn't like to do the same thing over and over very long. So, I stop when my interest wanes and move on to something else - or not. Now I have the time to drag my feet to my hearts content.There's nobody to bug me about it. LOL

Mare said...

I volunteer at a couple of places. Gets me out among the people. One of the things is to teach safety driving class for AARP. It's only 2 four hour classes-whenever I set up the classes for[I've started doing 2 Saturday mornings for the people who are still working]. It is still fun for me...and it's a little bit of the teaching bug fix!!
I could relate to your whole post, though!

Great Grandma Lin said...

my suggestions is to write your life history. i did this when i first retired and it also gave me the opportunity to scan in my best photos and put them on a cd with my history for my family. this served two purposes to perserve them and to pass on my thoughts and life experiences to my family. it also was very cautharic, like therapy.

Sheila Keller-Powell said...

Perhaps, you could start to help your Mom clean out her house? You never know if 400 boxes of jigsaw puzzles lurk in one of her basement/garage/attic storage rooms....hahahahha