Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Spelling troubles

It's no wonder that lots of young people (and some older ones) have trouble spelling.  Look around at all the things that are spelled incorrectly on purpose.  Almost all kids eat cereal sometimes, and lots of them look at the box while they do: Trix, Kix, Froot Loops, Chex, Cap'n Crunch.  Maverik gas stations are everywhere, and there used to be a lot of Rainbo stations too.  There are Kustom Cabinets, Nick at Nite, Rite Aid, and Kool Aid.  Oh, and there's a company called Disaster Kleen Up.

If I took some more time I could think of more; you probably can too.  I know that it is often to make a product or store unique, or to save space on signs, but it makes it tricky to encourage careful spelling.  And I happen to think spelling matters, but I'm probably part of a shrinking minority.

8 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

Another interesting post. I would never win a spelling bee, but I can use spell-check. @:}

Great Grandma Lin said...

then there are the headlines and articles in newspaper that have mispelled words, don't they use spell check or have a proof reader.

dellgirl said...

You certainly are "part of a shrinking minority", and I am right up there with you. It is a big problem. I often had to defend my position on insisting on correct spelling when I taught 2nd graders. These days too many feel it is okay to "spell it like it sounds to you". THAT'S GARBAGE!!! And it ticks me off.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Dellgirl....I'm glad you're with me!

Kay said...

I suspect kids feel they don't need to learn to spell because they always have spell check to rely on. That's like my principal telling me once that I didn't need to teach my kids handwriting in 1st grade because they would be using computers.

dellgirl said...

And, have you ever been in line at a check-out when the power went out? They cannot even add four or five items with a pencil and paper! How awful - for the kids!!!

Mare said...

I echo all of these comments. It makes me crazy that the proofreading skills are superficial.

Christy said...

You're definitely not the only one but I do believe that we are a dieing breed. I know in my college/university English classes there were some that still had no clue and were completely dependent upon the spell check and we all no (yes intentional) how that can turn out.