Monday, June 23, 2008

Nice people too

Sometimes I think it is good to be reminded that there are many kind, thoughtful, wonderful people in the world.  The media show us all that is wrong: people who cheat, those who hurt, and others who lie without remorse.  We are inundated with representations of the vicious, nasty things people are capable of doing to others.

I made a quick trip to my local grocery store today.  I mentioned to an employee that I had been in a couple of days ago and foolishly left part of my purchase sitting on the counter.   I didn't even notice until after I had gotten home and unpacked.  He didn't even quibble.  I had some of the same things in my cart, and he just gave them to me.  He didn't ask for anything.  Admittedly, I've been going to that store for many years and long-term employees know my face, but I felt like he simply believed me.  

Then, after loading the few things I had in my car, I turned to take the cart to a cart-return and a young man walked up and asked if he could do that for me.  He wasn't an employee, just another shopper.  He didn't need the cart, just saved me some steps and put it away himself.  My first thought was that he was just kind, then I wondered if I looked like I needed help.   I guess it doesn't really matter.  It did remind me again that there are lots of good people, even some with rings in their lips and tattoos on their legs.  I try to be one of those people (minus the tattoos and assorted piercings).  I try to smile and visit with cashiers, hold doors for others or thank those who hold for me, and help others when I can.  I would like to be someone--like that young man today--who helps remind others that thoughtful people are everywhere, they're just not in the news.

4 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

how true...it's like the story of half empty and half full. do we look at what is lacking in people or at the good qualities that everyone has to some extent. by the way, sandpoint is near the canadian border in the panhandle of idaho.

Rambling Woods said...

Jo..just when I lose faith in my fellow man someone goes out of their way to do something nice...Like the movie "Pay if Forward"...

Teacher Mama said...

Natural gas conversions cost 4-6K. You get half of that back off your tax bill as a reimbursment from the Feds. The gas mileage is the same on the natural gas as it is on unleaded. Since the tank is generally 5-6 gallons, we only go about 100-150 miles before fill up is required. There are several fill up stations in the valley and between here and St. George. Filling up requires a little muscle, but I think you'd be fine.

dellgirl said...

Isn't it refreshing when you run into people like that? I always make it a point to compliment clerks/cashiers with good attitudes because they are a rare breed these days.