Sunday, June 22, 2008

Living by mountains

Normally, my internal compass works pretty well.  There are a few places, though, where I have been "directionally challenged" and I've never been able to readjust my compass.  Maybe that is partly because I grew up in valleys, and I always knew which direction the mountains were.  All I had to do was look around and my compass was set.  

As I have traveled a little, I've found places with curving roadways and no obvious landmarks difficult to maintain a directionality.  New Orleans was a tough one.  Funny, but no one I asked seemed to know either.  Directions to them were "lakeside" and "riverside."  When one cannot see beyond the trees at the sides of the highway, you never know the compass direction.  I'm very proud when I sometimes ask "Which direction are we going?" and it feels the same way to me.  Hooray.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but I need to have a map of sorts in my head to feel comfortable.

Another thing about living next to mountains: the ski resort just 30 minutes from me still had 69 inches of snow yesterday and people are skiing today; the temperature in the valley yesterday was 98 degrees.  What a difference a little elevation makes.

4 comments:

dellgirl said...

"directionally challenged" - that's a good way to put it. I just usually blurt out, "I don't know where the heck I am, how do I get out of here?"

Rambling Woods said...

And that's why people like me need a GPS for their car. No sense of direction at all.@:{

Great Grandma Lin said...

hey, maybe it has to be with living in utah with the mountains. i always have to know which direction is which and was lost when i lived in wisconsin years ago. all there were was trees in any direction, no mountains. then i went to sweden and couldn't use the sun because it was usually behind a cloud so i was lost in space.

Mare said...

Are you a leftie? [many talents but logically challenged]. I hate maps!