Monday, June 16, 2008

Signs, signs

I've been thinking a little lately about some of the signs I see.  Driving between our two residences there was a sign about a "prescribed burn" so "don't report."  The sign was out of date because there was nothing burning, but I wondered why it was "prescribed"?  The dictionary says one of the meanings of prescribed is "a rule that an action should be carried out."  So I guess the sign was saying the "burn" should occur... so I guess it did?    I have a few actions that I'd like carried out, can I prescribe something?  Would anyone care?

Another sign we chuckled about was "professional detailing" for automobiles.  Doesn't one become professional simply by receiving pay for doing something?  I think I'd like amateur detailing--much cheaper.

The most common sign that makes us laugh is "For Sale by Owner."  After all, who else has authority to sell?  I'd like to see a sign that said "For Sale by Neighbor" (to get rid of annoying dog owners) or "For Sale by Close Personal Friend" (because someone didn't repay that friendly loan).   Those would be interesting signs to read.



 

3 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

yes, signs are entertaining almost as much as mispelled newspaper headlines. i like the road sign drowsy drivers use next exit, as if they would be awake enough to do that, etc. i made a whole blog on signs but can't find it. interesting-maybe i was a drowsy blogger.

Sheila Keller-Powell said...

My favorite sign that I see in many places:

BUMP AHEAD

A bump on a head?
Permission to bump a head?
What kind of bump?
HOw far ahead.....

auuughhhhhhh

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I saw one a few days ago that said HUMP AHEAD...think about that one.