Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Old as Dirt

I got thinking, after yesterday's post, that I had wanted some of the things that were not really available when I was a youngster.  I forget sometimes how old I am.

There was no such thing as dental floss when I was a kid.  I could have brushed more often though.

There was also no sunscreen.  I was never much of a sunbather, because I just freckled, but baby oil was all I remember putting on my skin.  I did, however, spend lots of time outside.  I guess there was good in that--lots of exercise.

I have sometimes spoken to students about my youth: dresses to school, no microwave, no cell phone, no video games, black and white television (when I was a little older) with three channels, record players (what are those?), no hand-held calculators (much less computers), Saturday matinees with a newsreel, cartoon, and serial (I had to explain), no curling irons, no blow dryers.  Then I'd tell them that the dinosaurs had just died off so it was okay to play outside.  

Okay fellow baby boomers, what have I forgotten?  Those of you under 45 will have to think of your own list.




4 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

i'm writing a whole series called looking back about how things were when we were young. sure makes me feel older. have the articles on my blog. the last one was about outhouses which my grandma had when i was young and this week's is saturday nite baths. i used a sliderule in math classes in high schools and there were no calculators. the list could go on and on.

Kay said...

Do they still have Look candy bars? That used to be my favorite. Transistor radios? Slide rules? How about those old washing machines where you rolled your clothes through that press to squeeze out the water?

Mare said...

jumpropes!!And the songs and chants that went with them,
paperdolls with tabs.
I don't remember pizza in my youth.
Everything is so different now!

dellgirl said...

Didn't have washing machines. We washed in three round tin tubs (the ones Lin described for bathing). First clothes were boiled (with a big hot fire under the tub) in hot lye-soap water. Then they were scrubbed on a rub board in tub #1 and rinsed in tubs 2 and 3. Tub 3 had blueing added to make white clothes whiter. Then they were hung on clothes lines to dry - until I was 12 or 13 years old.