Monday, June 30, 2008

Poor Excuse for a Pioneer

I admit it, I would have made a lousy pioneer. I wouldn't even have been a good city slicker in the 1800s. I'm way too fond of my conveniences--like electricity. The power went down for a while yesterday and that always reminds me of how I've come to expect things to work. Do you, when you know the power's off, walk into a room and automatically hit the light switch? Do you think, "I can't cook with the range, so I'll use the microwave?"  Tried to turn on a fan because the air conditioner is off?  Have you ever picked up a portable phone and tried to call someone to ask about why the power is out?   I've done all those things at one time or another.

My brother called yesterday to see if I had power because he still didn't. Mine was back on and he said that in about 5 more degrees his family would be up to visit me. It was about 100 degrees at the time. I think his kids were also suffering severe television withdrawal. His power came back, so he didn't need to evacuate to my house--although the company may have been fun.

I'm afraid the Internet is also become vitally important to me. We've had some problems the last couple of days getting and staying online. After talking several times with the provider's tech support, I guess it's our combination modem/wireless gateway. My MacBook manages to connect sporadically (thus this post), but hubby couldn't get his IBM to connect at all. So, today, I'm trying to get a new one installed and working--all by myself. I'm on the bottom edge of computer savvy so this might be messy, but think how cool it would be if I can do it! Hey, I replaced the guts of a toilet for the first time earlier this year, so maybe I have more undiscovered skills. It does seem unlikely at this stage of the game. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

We were without power for almost a week in Oct 2006. It was cold and dark and is the reason we are going to get a generator....

Jo, a retired teacher said...

We have two lovely little generators.......with our 5th wheel trailer 70 miles away. But, oh my gosh, for nearly a week! Whatever did you do?

Rambling Woods said...

Jo..we tented off the family room with sheets and used the fire place. It was so darn cold..lots of people here have generators..they just weren't in a sharing mood.

Kay said...

Yikes, Michelle was without power for a week? Good gosh!
I love my conveniences also, Jo. I'm not really computer savy but I can't get along without it. Being able to blog this whole time has kind of kept me sane. So, do you like your MacBook? I was wondering if we should get a new iMac in Hawaii instead of a PC. I wonder...

Great Grandma Lin said...

unfortunately toilets and computers are different but you certainly learn something new whenever you try to fix anything...