Saturday, June 14, 2008

Being alone is okay too

Someone was telling me about a wife that was distressed because her husband was away for a few days.  She missed him terribly.  I have to say I laughed a little.  Fortunately the lonely wife didn't know I laughed, but I couldn't help myself.  I enjoy it when my husband is gone for a few days.  I like the time alone.  I eat when I get hungry, fix whatever I feel like eating, watch the programs I like (with full control of the remote), sleep when I want, stay up late reading, whatever. When you live with another person, you have to coordinate, compromise, adapt.  Not when you're alone.

It is nice to know that he'll be back.  We'll adjust to being together again.  I know I enjoy his absences more than he enjoys mine, but that's because the basic household duties (cooking, laundry, shopping) have always been mine, so his routines differ more than mine do when we're apart.  We're likely to be apart more for the next year as I move into our retirement home more full time and he continues to work several days a week in the city--flying back and forth.  It will be okay.  Occasionally I'll leave him a big pot of stew or  chili, or homemade things we can freeze and reheat.  We've done this kind of thing before and it may have been good for us.  After all, we've been married 40 years (we were babies).  Maybe a little break now and then makes us more appreciative of the time we can be together, then again, maybe it's just the break we need to stand each other--hard to tell.  

3 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

welcome to the retired life, it is an adjustment being together 24/7. We've been retired 7 years. My husband was in his 50s when he choose to take early retirement from his government job. It definitely helps to have separate interests and some things you like to do together. I wrtie, my husband does archery. We like to hike and travel together. It was strange at first to go grocery shopping with him at my side, etc. but we've adjusted. good luck.

Rambling Woods said...

Jo...My husband and I used to be very active before my MS..I encouraged him to keep at those activities and I think it's how he deals with my illness. I don't mind my time alone.

Kay said...

My husband and I tend to do everything together and my children warn me that it's not good for me. I need to be more independent. They're right. I do so admire your independence and strength.