Saturday, June 7, 2008

Horse Racing

While I was growing up, my grandparents were involved in racing thoroughbred horses.  They only raced in local races, never leaving the western states.  They had horses that were well-known locally, some of which won prestigious races.  But racing was never their whole life; it was a hobby, something they enjoyed, and they loved their horses.  The horse most locals remember (the over 50 crowd)  was also one of the sweetest.  There is a picture of he and I standing together (I was holding the lead rein) when I was about a year old.  

I watched the Belmont Stakes today, hoping that Big Brown would pull it off and be the first Triple Crown Winner in 30 years.  It was not to be--again.  The announcers kept talking about how something must be wrong with him; he must be hurt.  It's almost as though they forgot that horses aren't machines; they are living creatures.  Some days they feel better than other days.  They have personalities, moods, and opinions.  Big Brown's trainer may come out with reasons why he didn't run the way he could.  Those reasons may or may not be accurate, Big Brown is the only one who really knows.  It's too bad that today was the day he didn't feel up to par, but that's horse racing.

4 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

yeah, we watched the race too. felt sorry for the horse big brown. too much pressure and giving steroids to horses i couldn't believe that...

Kay said...

Thank you for explaining it to us. My husband and I were sorry that Big Brown came in last and wondered if he'd been injured or sick. Sometimes you forget that the horses running the race are animals with feelings, too.

Rambling Woods said...

I didn't watch after that other sad horse race...but thanks for showing a more gentle side of it..

Anonymous said...

I have such mixed feelings about horse racing now. I've always loved it...even though I know 2 & 3 year olds don't have the skeletal maturity to be racing. Their joints and tendons are not fully developed until they are at least 5. And I fear that some horses are being bred only for speed and not for soundness also.

I'm sorry Big Brown wasn't up to it. I feel very strongly that he should not have been running. Thank goodness nothing tragic happened.

Thanks for you comment...but on this issue we will just have to agree to disagree. :-)