Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Driving Entertainment

I had to make a 3-hour drive today and listening to the radio was my entertainment.  I was thinking about language and how it changes.  

What does "pre-order" mean?  If one does that doesn't it mean they are ordering something--just before it is released?  Do we need to pre-order before we order?  I understand how a car can be "pre-owned."  It's just a short-cut for previously owned--nicer than "used."  But pre-order?

If we use Direct Buy, things will cost "almost half" of what they would cost at retail.  I think the original idea may have been that one would save almost half, but something got switched writing the commercial to fit the time available.  Isn't a cost of "almost half" kind of a strange thing to say, like it would be even better to cost "half"?

I also think "evaluating an investigational medication" seems redundant.  If we are investigating a medication, isn't it also an evaluation?  Is that too simple?  Not enough legal language?

I haven't even mentioned the subject/verb disagreements that I hear all the time, especially with compound subjects.  That's fodder for another day.





4 comments:

Kay said...

Thank you for your "heads up," Jo about the airline security and me possibly still glowing from the radiation pill.

Great Grandma Lin said...

it is interesting with language. try some oxymorons.

Tom said...

Hi Jo
Thank you for your visit over at Wiggers World and your interest in joining us for Sky Watch..
All you need to do is post a picture that as some baring on the Sky.. even it it is just a spot of blue peeking at the back of your picture... I have no hard and fast rules on your choice.
Once you have your post done here then copy your blog address and nip over to Wiggers World at 7.30pm this evening.. GMT... which is around 3.1/2 hours now. One my Sky Watch post you will see a place to copy or write your Blog address in... and another place to put what ever name you want to be known by. That's it .. job done. The soon you post the better as it dose tend to generate more visits.
Sky Watch is more to do with friendlness than anything.. all I ask is if you have the time drop by a few or as many as you like others.. just see what their picture is like and say hello.. that's it.

I hope that explains it, but if you have any bother then email me, the address is in my profile.

Let folks know in your post that it is your first time.. I know a few folk will want to welcome you along.

Tom

Teacher Mama said...

I'm not really going to Fiji. I just wish I could. Life is starting to calm down.