Thursday, June 26, 2008

Getting there.


[Sky+Watch+Friday.JPG] This is the view from my permanent/retirement home.  It's only 300 miles south (and 2000 feet less in elevation) away from the temporary city location, but the landscape is much different.  Not a cloud to be seen today.  Thanks to our Sky Watch host, Tom Wigley.

My post about spelling opened a couple of teacher floodgates about some of the things we think are important for children to learn.  I always told students that they should try to learn as much as they could about everything.  There was no predicting what information would be needed or when.    People are often sad about things they didn't learn and opportunities that were missed because of it, but I've never heard of anyone unhappy because they learned something they didn't turn out to need.


14 comments:

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

Do you know the French movie "Etre et Avoir" (To be and to have" about the life of a French teacher just before he retires ?

Snap Catch said...

Great SWF entry! Happy weekend! Mine's up too hope you can drop by.

Anonymous said...

The hilly landscape reminds me a lot of my own country. The sky comes right down to meet the peaks. Interesting blog.

Unknown said...

Lovely clear sky shot.

Happy SWF.
Gary
Bodge's Bulletin

SandyCarlson said...

This is a nice, sunny view.

Anonymous said...

I'm back ...
Oh no, cried blog world ... he's back!

But guess what, I'm glad I decided to make a comeback.
If I didn´t rejoin SWF I would never have the chance to see this great photo!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

A very good philosophy and one to live by. You have a stunning view! Thanks for sharing!

Tom said...

Excellent post..
I liked your words on learning nd teaching.. I left school barely able to read or write, I left school at an early age to workas my father died when I was 11... I learned to read and write in prison many many years ago... I missed a lot of learning but I've made up for it since.. and now with the internet... I'm learning still.

dellgirl said...

Another lovely skywatch pic. So far it is sunny here in Houston. I hear the garbage truck outside, maybe by the time he leaves my street it will be snowing.

Great Grandma Lin said...

reminds me of home in so. utah, cloudless and hot this time of year. i agree about school and learning, none of it is ever lost and it's amazing what you can learn online.

Anonymous said...

That looks like the place to be. SWF.

Petunia said...

A very nice SWF entry! Welcome!

Petunia's SWF

Unknown said...

Great capture for sky watch!
Have a nice weekend.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jo: Certainly a great mountain scene.