Monday, June 9, 2008

Points of View

I ran into a new blog today, but I'm not certain I'll go back.  It was written by someone proclaiming to be a "proud Democrat."  This person then spent time complimenting someone who shares her view and railing against those who do not.  Now I know people who claim to be Democrats, just like I know people who claim to be Republicans.  Most of these people do not, however, choose to be identified by their political leanings.  People whose descriptions contain political notations are too intense for me.  I am many things, but my political beliefs do not describe me.  I have always thought it was amazing how people can claim to be champions of understanding and polite debate, then resort to name-calling when disagreed with.

I am worried that the county I love is in trouble, economically and emotionally.  I am going to hate the next four months of campaigning (thank heaven for TiVo), but I will take more time to study the candidates and vote for whichever I believe will be the best for America.  I am afraid that neither choice is as good as it could be,  but running for President is a grueling fight and often a thankless job.  I wouldn't want it. 

3 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

i agree, read the same blog but didn't comment, i'm an independent but generally vote republican although this year i might change that...but in utah my vote won't count much as the majority rules but at least i will have exercised my right to choose.

Teacher Mama said...

If I end up missing, I escaped to Fiji. It's nice to know there are places like that in the world to go if things get to grim here.

As for my tutoring job, the principal of this rehab center was a neighbor of mine. He called and told me his plight of kids who are 16+ who didn't know anything beyond 4th grade math, and asked if I could help. I have found that since I started tutoring, there really is a huge demand. As the public system becomes less able to meet the needs of all students, more people are willing to pay for additional private instruction. With a little advertising and a few phone calls, you could have a booming business in no time.

Kay said...

I've thought of myself as an Independent also though I probably lean more toward being a Democrat. I'm always amazed that anyone would want the job of the presidency. It seems like such an agonizing job. You can tell how stressful it is just by looking at the photos of presidents at the start of their 4 years and at the end. And if it's 8, oh my!