Friday, June 6, 2008

Too old for cold

Have you noticed that children don't seem to feel the cold?  Parents nag about wearing coats, they buy hats and gloves, and kids discard them on the playgrounds.  Visiting at my mother's a couple of weeks ago, it was cool outside.  My young nieces would put coats on their children, only to pick them up off the lawn later.  The children didn't think it was uncomfortably cold. I had on two t-shirts and a jacket--I thought it was.  I have had students whose winter coats (and this is northern Utah--we hosted the winter Olympics) were sweatshirts (hoodies).  

Maybe something happens to our metabolism, maybe our brains finish developing, maybe age creates a shrinking comfort zone.  Whatever.  Sometime along the way we begin to feel the cold and choose to dress accordingly.  Personally, I am part lizard.  Anyone who knows me knows that if I am warm, it is warm!  I don't get properly comfortable until about 77 degrees, I never wear short sleeves before mid-June, and I don't complain about the heat. In fact, I think I'll go outside and soak up some sunshine now (but not without a little sunscreen for my skin).   

5 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

hi, that's why we live in so. utah where it's warm in the winter and no snow....this past week it snowed several inches north of us but we just cooled down to the 70s.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I know, I drove from Sandy yesterday. Snow from Fillmore to past Beaver. Like my brother, who also lives here says, "When it's cold in St. George, it's good to be in St. George."

Great Grandma Lin said...

are you interested in a writer's wordshop i teach, it's free held 2nd monday of summer months 10 am-11:30. we are working on free verse and other writings. you are welcome. just send an email to floyds at sunrivertoday dot com

Rambling Woods said...

It's not "cool" to dress for the weather. It's not even "cool" to kept your pants up. Sigh. I am always to warm now, it's the "hot flashes".

Kay said...

I remember my son insisting that he didn't need ear muffs or a hood during the high school winter swim practice...never mind gloves. It used to make me crazy. I wonder if it's because younger people are moving around more and generating heat? I did hear about one of the high schoolers ending up with frostbite on his ear!