Monday, September 29, 2008

Offensive commercials

I have been watching too much televison without benefit of TiVo.  When you record an hour program, you can fast forward through the commercials and watch it in 40 minutes.  When I've watched my chosen recorded shows, with not much else to do during the day (I finished my last book), I've watched a little regular programming--commercials included.  Some of them aren't so bad, if they didn't run 42 times a day.  

But the ones that really frost me are ads for attorneys and law firms.  There are three types that really offend me.  First, if you are in an accident and you call this firm, you can get thousands of dollars from someone's insurance company.  It bothers me because it shows healthy, youthful people smirking happily about the thousands of dollars they received. 

The second law firm will help if you were denied Social Security Disability money,  Personally, I know about people trying to leech from Social Security for pretend "disabilities" such as flat feet, learning problems, depression, obesity, and of course the standard back pain.  Social Security was never intended to support those who refuse to help themselves.

The third commercial is for the law firm that will help you get out of debt with the IRS.  The faces on this morning's commercial talked about only having to pay a small fraction of what they owed.  Exactly who is that fair to?  I don't like my tax bill either, if I pay the legal fees will I come out ahead?

These are all part of supporting the collective attitude of entitlement.  Get the money you deserve, get your share of the pie, only a fool will pay what they owe.  And, oh yes, these law firms are only here to help you.  Yeah, right.  

6 comments:

storyteller said...

I hate all TV commercials and seldom watching anything ‘real time’ … always fast-forward through ads of all kinds. That said … the three types of ads you mention here would get MY goat too for sure.
Hugs and blessings,

NanNan said...

Agree wholeheartedly-- have an aversion for leeches of the human kind as well---BUT-- Just when I think I'm getting a handle on technology,,,, "benefit of TiVo"-- haven't done that yet--as for blue tooth----

Rambling Woods said...

I like to use the DVR and skip all that stuff....I hate the ones for drugs...

Joyce's Journey said...

I love my DVR. Some commericals are good, but I agree that the law firm commericals are ridiculous. Can you just imagine the advertising folks sitting around and thinking these up?

Mare said...

I hate the life insurance ones, nutrasystem/diet commercials...but the top of the list are ads for feminine products and ads for erectile dysfunction.
I think society has become dysfunctional!!

Teacher Mama said...

Back pain huh? You mean I don't have to work? They'll just give me money because I'm uncomfortable? I should check that out. Thanks for the tip.