Thursday, September 11, 2008

Levels of Comfort

The comments to yesterday's post made me feel so much better about my driving nervousness--I'm not the only one with trepidation about maneuvering in unfamiliar surroundings.  And yet, I am much more comfortable with some of the situations that might have worried me when I was young(er).  

My hair and I have come to a truce.  It cooperates with me in a limited way, and I don't try to force it into unusual shapes.  Style?  We do the best we can with what we have.  When I was a teenager, we had a fierce competition because I needed to follow the acceptable trend.  No more.

I don't worry at all about fashion; I want to feel comfortable in my clothes.  I won't feel comfortable if I look ridiculous, and I'll be unhappy if I'm not comfy.  I don't care what the hot new colors are; I know what looks best on me.  And high heels?  Only for short periods and special occasions.  I am always amazed when I see someone shopping, walking through the airport, even wandering around the state fair in 3-inch heels.  Why aren't they cringing with every step?  

The well-being of my feet is important.  Right after I started my blog, I posted about my new MBT shoes.  I have enjoyed them so much that I ordered a pair for my son's 40th birthday (yes, I'm way too young to have a son that old).  He has some feet issues (metatarsals too long) and I'm betting he'll like them too.  

I plan to spend lots of time vertical; I need my feet and comfy clothes.

5 comments:

Mare said...

Amen, sister! I have foot issues and sometimes 'crocs'feel the best.
Re: my hair...I have yet to stop coloring the grey! Oh well. Someday.

Kay said...

My favorite shoes are Merrells. I think that's how you spell it. Have you ever tried them? They are the most comfortable shoes I have.

Rambling Woods said...

Jo..I need good shoes that help keep me stable and on my feet and that isn't always pretty. I used to care about clothes, but I think I go for comfortable now...

wispy willow said...

I think it's GREAT that maternity tops are very "in" right now. Well... they look and fit like maternity tops anyway. So I can be "chic" and comfy wearing the same outfit. But, if I couldn't, comfy would definitely win out!!

I used to love bare feet. I didn't think there was anything more comfortablet than that. I'm paying the piper for that misstep. I have very, VERY high arches. They needed support even when I was young and silly and didn't realize it.

Hair? I tried letting it go gray. Tried lightening it to blend in the gray more. HATED it!
So, I'm back to coloring it again. It's naturally curly. blech!!! I have on average 8 bad hair days every week. That is NOT a typo. It really feels that way.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Mare, Caryn: I'm with you on covering the gray. My naturally very dark hair looks awful when the gray shows. I have an even bigger gray problem for reasons I may explain on another day.

Shoes are the last articles of clothing I put on before leaving the house and the first I take off when I get home.

Caryn: My hair is very naturally curly too--thus the necessary truce. There are certain things it will not do. Those foolish people with straight hair often say how much they would like curly--ha ha.