Monday, September 15, 2008

Finding a chuckle during an election

For the next two months, it could be difficult to read a newspaper or watch television (bless TiVo).  I am tired of editorials trashing presidential or vice-presidential candidates over whatever (and most seem very one-sided).   I am sick of political rhetoric and misleading ads.   In reality, Presidents or Vice-Presidents cannot change a country--our Constitution spells that out. Whichever candidate ends up winning the election will have to work with the Congress. Important (or unimportant) things only happen when enough people compromise and work together.  So grandiose ideas often disappear after January.  I so wish elected officials were required to serve only a limited term.  If campaign financing were controlled by law, and people knew the time they had, I think we would go back to the Public Service idea of government, rather than the power and wealth-building that there seems to be now.

I didn't start out writing a philosophical view, but I just finished reading the newspaper and I got a little depressed.  HOWEVER, the comics didn't let me down and I know teachers everywhere (regardless of their political persuasion) can relate to this Frazz.



6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

funny, yes phone booth indeed...a lost part of our civilization. try finding one when your cell phone doesn't work or is lost...then try figuring out how to use it. that happened to me in maine. never found the cell phone but grew to appreciate it more by its loss.

wispy willow said...

Whew! It felt so good to read this post. I've been carting those same thoughts and frustrations around with me for weeks. I'm growing bone weary of the name calling, ridicule, contortions of the truth, and empty promises made by both parties. Obama can NOT DO all that he promises! McCain can NOT BE all that he pretends. And why do we keep pointing fingers at our current president as if he stood alone? Does Congress not share any responsibility for the financial situation we find ourselves in? Has he been a great president? NO! Have they been a responsible Congress? NO! EEEGADS!! Neither party is THE party with ALL of the answers! I'm disgusted and discouraged. This is turning out to be a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad" election year.

I think I'll move to Australia with "Anthony"...

Kay said...

I'm definitely on Hawaiian-time. I read your blog first and then went down to the morning paper and saw the cartoon. It was just as funny the second time around. I love Frazz.

Rambling Woods said...

LOL...

storyteller said...

I’m tired of the same things … and I certainly appreciated the chuckle. Thanks for sharing. I’m ‘almost wordless’ at Sacred Ruminations and have shared ‘goodies’ at Small Reflections … so drop by when time permits and ‘snag’ anything you’d like to enjoy and/or share with others.
Hugs and blessings,

NanNan said...

I don't fully understand your election system-- but I know it's way too loooong a process!! An election is called in Canada and takes place 3 months later--- I used to enjoy watching CNN, but not anymore--