Monday, September 8, 2008

That time of year

This is a fun time of year in my home.  The Labor Day weekend is also the county fair, which is a huge deal in a town of less than 3000.  Class reunions (and family reunions) are planned for the weekend, because just about everyone comes home. This small town was the first settled in the area and is the county seat--thus the fair.  There is a much larger city, just 18 miles away, that would love to host, but so far has been unable to wrangle it away.  

Mom's house is where all the family likes to get together.  On this particular evening, the kids, grandkids, and great grandkids (except mine) had a lovely pot luck dinner and visit.  Parking is always tricky when all 5 children, 16 of 18 grandchildren, and their families (including 14 of 20 great grands) come over.

Sometimes, it's a good thing Mom lives on a corner lot.


Mom has a large lot with a volley ball net, a sand box, a basketball hoop, a tire swing, and lots of room for running.  Who wouldn't want to hang around?  I sometimes feel a bit left out because my own children are always the ones missing, my grandchildren are not part of the fun.  I'll be content that they are doing well where they are and that probably makes their visits all the more special.

5 comments:

Kay said...

I'm sorry your kids couldn't be there with you, Jo. Still, it's great that you're all getting together. We had a Cousins get together this weekend that was the 2nd one in 35 years. We agreed that we needed to get together more often. Your mom's house sounds ideal for this.

Great Grandma Lin said...

I can relate, I have some kids who moved away and never come back to utah so I go visit them yearly...it was easier in the old days when family was closer.

wispy willow said...

It's sad when the kids move away and take our grandbabies with them. Yet, that's what we raised them to do. We wanted them to be independant, and to find adventure in their lives. Why is it then, when they do just that...we find ourselves muttering "Rats!!" under our breath now and then?

All the cars semi-circled around your mom's home make it look inviting. I want to see what's going on and come join the fun!

I bet you're everyone's favorite aunt. Am I right?

Gill - That British Woman said...

gone are the days when the family always stayed in the same place. We moved to Canada from Britain, so we are the ones that are never at the family events......

Gill

Rambling Woods said...

Jo..My daughter has lived out of state since college. She may be coming back to NY state..I understand how you feel...