Friday, September 19, 2008

Multi-tasking vs focus

In general, I think that women are better multi-taskers.  Teachers sometimes have to answer students' questions, plan for the next lesson, watch the time, gather materials, correct or record work, monitor potential problems, gauge general understanding, and still attend to the surprise visitor or intercom announcement.  And many do so seemingly with little effort.

Mothers of young children have much the same ability.  They carry on reasonable conversations with 3-year-olds, answer occasional homework questions of older children, prepare meals, fold clean clothes, wipe up spills, and carry fussy babies--sometimes all at once.

It is probably not true of all men, but most do not multi-task well.  I know my own dear hubby does not.  He, however, has the ability to focus on a single task, so intently that distractions do not exist.  If I ask a question or make a comment while he is working on something, I am just a small buzzing sound--irritating, but not intrusive.  Even when face-to-fact, if his mind is busy on something else, I am not getting through in any meaningful way.

There are times when I am jealous of his ability.  For instance, if I am trying to write something--a letter of complaint, a recommendation, an opinion--I need quiet solitude.  He doesn't.

Yet, if he is concentrating on something and the television news mentions an event he would be interested in, he'll miss it.  I won't.

In a way, these mental differences have helped us be successful in totally different fields.  

I'm not sure yet how the granddaughters will be at doing several things at a time (they're just 7, 4, & 3), but there is one grandson who definitely has the focusing gene.  We'll have to make sure any future wife understands how it works.


8 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

how true...my husband only focuses on one project at a time also. but i like to have several going, then if i get tired of one i just go to another and eventually they are all done maybe not at the same time. we are different.

Rambling Woods said...

My husband can tune out everything. I would love to be like that. I hear everything and I always have a running list in my head...

Kay said...

You know.... I have to agree. My husband is like that, too. He's quite disgruntled if I disturb him when he's concentrating on something.

Mare said...

Being single[now],I have to search my memory banks to think about this. I truly believe that men and women are so very wired differently. I remember being on a road trip and asking my husband, "Whatcha thinking about?"
Nothing. Nothing? Nothing.
I found it hard to believe.

wispy willow said...

It's so true!!! Especially about the men not being able to think of more than one thing at a time. And, even when they're focusing on what you're saying, if you tell them several things at once, they can only absorb so much of it.

And what is with this "blank brain" business? How can anyone function with absolutely "nothing" on their mind? My hubby says that all of the time. I didn't buy it for years. I'm still not sure I do

Joyce's Journey said...

I just think men don't like to open up too much and share their innermost thoughts. I agree that they can only do one thing at a time. I guess that is why God made us both - so we can compliment each other!

dellgirl said...

Uh-ooh! Something's wrong in my house. He can do 3,4,5 things simultaneously, none thoroughly though, except cook. He can cook up a storm no matter how many other things he has going on. I, on the other hand, can only concentrate on and do 1 thing at a time and do it well. I think he has adult some ADD/ADHD that went undiagnosed because of the times.

NanNan said...

I'd be happy if my husband would focus on just one task!! He has the "can't finish the task" gene!