Thursday, September 4, 2008

Politics and friendship

I guess it is bound to happen.  Political discussions will be difficult to avoid for the next two months.  The real tests will be whether acquaintances and friendships can survive the differences of opinion.  I mentioned in a post some time ago that I avoided the blogs of those who are obviously pushing a certain candidate.  I think voting booths are private for a reason.

That said, I ran across some quotes from Abraham Lincoln which really struck a chord with me.  Maybe they will for you too, maybe not.  Sometimes, while tolerance is praised as a virtue, it is only practiced if others agree with your views.

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by encouraging class hatred.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
Abraham Lincoln


8 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

i agree, just watch the dvd series john adams in it geo washington doesn't run after two terms because of all the back biting and political turmoil. there has to be a better way to govern.

Teacher Mama said...

I hope to run into Abraham Lincoln in heaven one day. He's a guy I'd like to meet.

Mare said...

I don't understand people who mock a candidate or political affiliation. They get in your space and think they are funny as they pull someone down in order to lift someone up. Abe and George wouldn't make it today. Technology has changed so much-both good and bad. Too many people underestimate the power of kindness. What happened to, 'Be nice.'
That's my view on the world!!

dellgirl said...

I wouldn't make it one day in politics, I don't like nastiness, backbiting, criticizing, etc.

Just tell us what you're going to do - then do it.

wispy willow said...

I can't comment on political blogs. I don't want to go to battle with anyone... I think the comment you made about voting boothes being private for a reason makes sense to me.

Louise said...

I like your Abe Lincoln quotes! The problem today is that people only remember NOW. Not much else.

I came here for SWF and love your big view. Cutting wood. Childhood memories.

storyteller said...

I agree fully … and am doing my best to avoid writing about politics on my blogs and/or engaging in politics when commenting. That said … a post like YOURS seems ‘timely’ and appropriate as we each inform ourselves about the candidate’s positions and decide how to vote our conscience w/o alienating anyone (or finding ourselves unduly stressed) unnecessarily. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs and blessings,

Rambling Woods said...

This is a wonderful post and well timed...