Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oh how times have changed.

This article is about a year old, but you'll get the general idea.  I printed it for my class's 40th high school reunion.

Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshmen.  Here's the list for 2007:
The people who started college this year were born in 1988.
They are too young to remember the Challenger space shuttle blowing up.
Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
The CD was introduced the year before they were born.
They have always had an answering machine/voice mail.
They have always had cable.
They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
They can't imagine what hard contacts are.
They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
They've never heard, "Where's the beef?" "I'd walk a mile for a camel," or "de plane, boss, de plane."
They don't care who shot J.R. or even who J.R. is.
McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.
They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Do you feel old yet?


9 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

yep absolutely...but then I remember thinking of my grandmother who lived to almost 90 that she did her courting with grandpa in a cutter sleigh drawn by a horse and lived to see man on the moon. so I guess in anyone's lifetime there are sweeping changes but it seems more dramatic in our lifetimes. I remember no freeways in utah, Provo as a quiet college town, etc. etc. We are getting older.

Rambling Woods said...

Oh man..they don't know "where's the beef". Yes, I feel old. I remember when my mother had my brother, she was 36 and I thought she was so old.

wispy willow said...

My children have never used a skate key, wondered "where the yellow went", known why they "love an oscar meyer weiner", had a "spoolie" or rag in their hair or rinsed it in vinegar to make it shine.

The have no clue what a radiator bag is, have never had the doctor come to their home, have never spit in the sink at the dentist's office, and paid a nickle for a pack of gum or a quarter or an ice cream cone the size of a cantaloupe.

They never heard of Ed Sullivan, Jack Benny, the Lone Ranger or Heard George tell Gracie Goodnight. I could go on forever.

What amazes me are the things that are such miracles to us will be mere faded memories for them when they're telling their grandchildren about them.

Our Great Grandchildren may barely remember when cars had wheels and when we typed on computers.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Caryn helped me remember that I used to go the the Saturday Matinee for $.25. You'd see a newsreel, a serial, a cartoon, and the movie. You could buy a big Baby Ruth for 5 cents.

Michelle reminded me that my mother had the first of my two brothers when she was 29 and I remember asking her if she wasn't a little old for having more babies.

Lin reminded me that old US Highway 91 used to go through all our small Utah towns and it took 5 hours to make the drive that takes me just over 3 hours now.

You're right, we could do this all day.

Jean said...

Yup. I sure do feel old now!

Anonymous said...

Yup … but then I know I’m old. LOL
Interesting to consider the ‘information’ gap … reminds me that my dad was born 10 years before the Wright Brothers made their first successful flight but lived to see man walk on the Moon.
Hugs and blessings,

Gill - That British Woman said...

yes I do........time flies past pretty fast, one minute you are in your teens, next minute you're thinking about retirement.

Great post..........just want to forewarn you about my post tomorrow, its really funny, but you may have to be British to fully appreciate it!!!

Gill in Canada

Joyce's Journey said...

When I was young people would think that you don't know anything because "you're just a kid". I couldn't wait to grow up so I wouldn't be viewed as just a kid. Well, now I am grown up and my 18 year old son doesn't think I know anything because I'm too old. Did I miss that time in between when I did know something? Geeze, wonder how I ever managed to get where I am now?

Mare said...

When I happen to see myself in a mirror...that's when I feel old. And when I realize what I can't do because of my RA...I feel old. But in my head, I don't seem to feel that old!