Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bravery dwindles with age?

Funny thing, courage.  I'm not talking about the 'taking the hill at all costs' kind of bravery.  I'm talking about the everyday bravery: 1) trying something new in front of others, 2) speaking your mind when you know people all around disagree, 3) telling someone off (who needs to be told) even though they may react badly, 4) asking embarrassing questions of obviously busy doctors and expecting answers, and 5) driving unfamiliar cars in unfamiliar places.  You can probably think of more.

Personally, I seem to do okay for most of those, but I'm not crazy about the driving part.  Hubby always drives, I navigate (watch for signs, landmarks, etc).  I find driving in a strange place makes me anxious.  I think it happened about the time I turned 50.  Young people aren't afraid of driving anywhere--maybe I wasn't either years ago.  Now it makes me nervous.  

But, next month I fly to Florida and I have to drive to meet my son and his family.  So, after days of research and hours of pondering, I ordered a GPS.  I got one that will tell me where to turn and the name of the street.  I'll make friends with it before I go and hope it keeps me on the right road.  If not, I am very good at number three above!

5 comments:

wispy willow said...

I find the older I get... the less I'm concerned about what other people think of what I'm doing... and I also have come to realize just how few people think about what I'm doing at all. So, my comfort level with doing whatever pops onto my head has actually increased with age.

NOW... the driving thing, I completely relate to. I guess my reflexes aren't what they used to be and I really, really don't like driving in strange places....or on crowded streets.

I think GPS systems came to us directly from the Gods on Mt. Olympus. They're wonderful!!!

I'm figuring that a visit with your son and his family would be well worth the frenzied driving through the streets of an unfamiliar area in a rental car. Have a great time. Take some pictures you can share with us.

Mare said...

You go girl! You'll be driving with the Floridians...whatever that means!!
I enjoyed your list. How 'bout wearing something because you like the way it fits[shoes!],feels[a favorite, comfy sweatshirt,or means something special to you. And not care if the fashion police are documenting it.

Joyce's Journey said...

It's interesting because there are certain things that I feel very confident about, as I've "aged", and others that do cause some fear where there was never any before.

I wish you well on your trip to Florida. I think you told me before you were coming to Florida. I live in the West Palm Beach area. Where are you going? I hope you have a wonderful time. If I can do anything to assist you, please let me know as I'd love to!!

Kay said...

My husband always takes a map along with the GPS because you can never tell.
I haven't driven in 4 years just because I haven't had to since I retired. I know I should do it again but it scares me too much.

Rambling Woods said...

I don't like driving in strange places but the GPS helps me feel better somewhat...What we don't do to see our kids...