Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Food from childhood

It took until I was in high school before I understood that all children didn't eat macaroni with tomato sauce.  I was married before I tasted macaroni and cheese.  I began to understand that all families have certain food--what should I say--preferences.  Oddly enough, some of those "preferences" stick with us.  

For instance, I love broken pieces of bread cooked into my scrambled eggs.  My mother did that to make the eggs go farther, but I do it because I like the way it tastes.

My oldest son took the macaroni with tomato sauce I passed to his childhood, and claims it is the best thing to eat with a grilled cheese sandwich.

My husband's favorite meal is a certain wild meat, cooked a certain way, with fried potatoes. It can't be done any other way, or served with rice or a baked potato--that's just the way it is.

Talking to my mother this morning, she mentioned that her father had liked to eat pears topped with mayonnaise and grated cheddar cheese.  I did catch her eating a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich a few weeks ago,  Perhaps the reason I haven't tried that is that we didn't ever have peanut butter when I was a kid, but I have no idea why Mom tried it.

Another food I had as a kid and still like is rice in tomato sauce.  It is even better with some meat and a little kick from peppers.  I had no idea other people left their rice plain.

What kinds of foods from childhood do you still love to eat?

8 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

Good question, food from my youth-well I was a very fussy eater and didn't like to try new things so I liked hamburgers, fried chicken, roast beef-sounds like an Akins diet. Loved peanut butter from my early days, ice cream only chocolate or vanilla, potato chips another favorite snack food and homemade white bread hot out of the oven is probably still my most favorite food. I still eat all of the above but have discovered ethnic food and like Thai, Mexican, Texan, Chinese and Japanese foods.

wispy willow said...

Are you ready??? Got a good grip on your gag reflexes?

Peanut butter, mayo, dill pickle and lettuce sandwiches.

Cold pork and bean sandwiches.

Velveeta cheese and sweet pickle sandwiches on rye bread.

Cold mashed potato sandwiches on toasted pumpernickle bread.

egg noodles and ketchup.

A mixture of brewers yeast, mollasses, and warm whole milk.

Fried rabbit...

The good stuff was hot orange tappioca pudding, home made bread pudding, and mothers huge selection of oddball desserts... crumble tart, prism cake, pickle pie (there's actually a restuarant in Teasdale, Utah that is famous for pickle pie) My mom's was better.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Wow, mom/caryn, I'll have to ask Mom if she has ever tried dill pickles with her pb & mayo.

Some of those were real winners...do you still eat any of them?

(Hubby also loves rabbit. He had it twice while we were in Italy.)

Kay said...

Pears with mayo and cheddar? Now that is rather different. People in Hawaii eat chili with rice but elsewhere, people would think it's strange.
Caryn's velveeta cheese with pickles actually sounds good to me. :-)

2sweetnsaxy said...

This was a great post. My brother's ex wife used to put ketchup in her macaroni and cheese. I guess that's almost close to your dish. :-) My brother liked to put mayonnaise in his spaghetti. I wonder if he still does that. :-) I like ketchup in my fried rice.

Mare said...

My favorites include:
[cooked]egg noodles fried in a skillet of butter mixed with bread crumbs. Topped with tomato sauce.[not spaghetti sauce] Use...like Hunts tomato sauce.
pork chops, mashed potatoes mixed with sauerkraut.
Refrigerator cake- Use the nabisco chocolate wafers, put freshly whipped cream on one, then another, etc. Make a stack and lay it down. Cover the top and sides with whipped cream.Refrigerate overnite.[ a must!] It is heaven.

Sheila Keller-Powell said...

Plain lettuce or plain tomato sandwiches...yum... The tomato sandwiches were the best with a big fat slice of the beefsteak type tomatoes with just a little mayo, salt and pepper.

NanNan said...

Potato pancakes--and I loved my mom's macaroni and cheese!