Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Utah State Fair

In early to mid-September, Utah holds its State Fair.  I have lots of State Fair memories.  When I was a youngster (looonng time ago), the Fair was mostly about animals and produce.  There were thoroughbred races, various Riding Clubs competed in team and individual events, and there were contests for horses and riders (English style, western, Arabian) of all ages.  I competed once when I was about 11.  Because my grandparents and parents were involved with horse activities, I enjoyed the week out of school each year spent at the Fair.  I have fond memories of the grandstand that isn't there anymore, the stables, and, of course, the amusement park rides.

I still like to go to the Fair, but it has changed a lot.  There are far fewer horse-related events (and animals in general).  The place where the race track was is now a stage for whatever are the hot new bands.  You can still walk through the dairy cows, pigs, goats, rabbits, but there are not as many.  This year there is a huge area of Creative Arts dedicated to scrapbook pages.  The walkways and a couple of buildings are lined with vendors selling everything from knives that are always sharp to air-brushed tattoos, hot tubs to dried fruit.   There are shows featuring a hypnotist, tigers from India, chain saw art, reptiles, a magician, a juggling comedian, and several musical performances.  

Some evenings there are still rodeo or horse-related events, but they have to compete with the volume of the band playing just down the walk.  I guess the most obvious signs of the way the State Fair is changing with the times is the Guitar Hero competition on Thursday and the Wii bowling contest for seniors on Wednesday.  Oy vey.

3 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

i remember the state fair, used to take my sons all the time when they were at home. loved the livestock exhibits and all the displays. fun memories.

Mare said...

Life experiences in the 'growing up process' have changed so much. A friend was saying this A.M. that Girl/Boy Scouts are almost fading into history! Playing outside for hours with lots of kids is a memory. And reading??
New York has a State Fair and I have gone to it about every 5 years for the past 34 years. Its fate is similar to what you described.
Good thing chocolate hasn't been replaced!!!

Rambling Woods said...

I used to love to go to our county fair when it was much more country, now it is too commercial so I understand how you feel...