Friday, May 30, 2008

Renewing my Teaching Certificate

My Utah teaching certificate expires the end of June.  I don't foresee ever teaching full time again, but I'd like to keep my options open and maybe substitute when I need a fix. The application was easy for me because I just stopped teaching two years ago, did a long-term sub job for a colleague's maternity leave, and had lots of inservice hours.  

I had a lovely visit with my last principal, who signed my paperwork. Then came the surprising part--the state didn't want my paperwork.  I guess that is not terribly unusual for professional licenses, but it seems.....risky.  What if I hadn't actually done the things I said I did?  I guess last time I renewed I was actively teaching and my principal kept the paperwork.  Now, I'm supposed to maintain the records in case someone asks to see them.  What's the likelihood of that?  Are there spot checks?  Is it possible that someone is actually teaching without meeting the renewal requirements?  

I am one of the first to admit that inservices, classes, even substituting do not make a good teacher.  It's lots more complex than that.  I guess I'll just have to assume that the system works and we are all conscientious and trustworthy.  Sheesh, that's tough for an old skeptic like me.

4 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

hey, i too had to face that decision and let mine lapse. i had an endorsement to be a school librarian and was one in an elementary school in provo area but it was more to do to renew it than to let it lapse but that was in 2001. i am retired...and love it. lots of opportunities to teach adults in my church and community.

Rambling Woods said...

We don't have to renew in New York State. I bet that will change soon.

Kay said...

I still have my Illinois certificate. I don't know when it's going to lapse. We did have to jump a few hoops to renew it after we retired. None of us thought we'd go back to teaching but we all wanted the option...just in case. Now that I'm moving to Hawaii, I guess it truly won't matter anymore. Still, I like the idea of... just in case.

Teacher Mama said...

My step-brother's wife was the one in the accident. Hopefully I can start posting again soon.