Sunday, May 4, 2008

Clarifying

My post yesterday about phrases that hurt my ears was because of grammatical errors.  I thought it was interesting that one of my fellow retired teacher bloggers had a different take.  Her irritation was with a kind of response given to a standard phrase.  Not really because of grammar, but because of tone or meaning.

When I mentioned this to my sister (also a retired teacher/administrator), she didn't understand why this response would be bothersome.  

Language (much like beauty and eyes) is in the ears of the listener.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I guess so. No worries.

Teacher Mama said...

I was mortified when I realized there was a blaring grammatical error (I was very distracted while writing it) in my post about toy rotations. You had already read it by the time I changed it. How embarrassing! I'm sure it isn't the only one you've caught. Thank you for not complaining about them in the comment section.