Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Favorite authors-Dick Francis

A number of years ago (probably more than I think) a friend and colleague got me to read a book by Dick Francis.  It was good, but at the time I wasn't that impressed.  

Now that I have lots of time to read, I have found his books more consistently intriguing and dependably excellent than almost any other author I've found.  His stories are always in some way connected to the horse racing and steeple chasing in Great Britain, but the protagonists vary greatly.  One may be a jockey, a blood-stock agent, a newspaper reporter, an owner of a wine store, a restaurant owner, a private investigator, a person who arranges for horse transport in airplanes, whatever.  My favorite thing about all these protagonists is that they are smart.  I have always hated figuring something out before the main character; I lose all respect.  It doesn't happen with this author.  Even if you've never spent time around horses, the stories will catch you.  

Mary, you were right to be a fan.  Now I watch for new ones too.

No comments: