Sunday, May 11, 2008

Hello from Italia!

I had a couple of posts set up for while I was gone, but this evening we are staying in a hotel that has  WiFi so I can write from Rimini.

We flew into Milan, took a bus to the train station, stored our bags, and headed on the metro for a beautiful cathedral--Duomo.  Enormous stained glass windows, amazing marble pillars, and, of course, the requisite street cons who pretend to give you something then ask for money.

Back to the train station, retrieve bags, and head for Lugano, Switzerland.  It's an interesting and beautiful city where people seem to speak Italian, German, and English.  The hotel was very expensive but sort of like a Super Eight, except without a shower (only a tub).  I'm learning a lot about the differences between the US and other parts of the world.

When we tried to go the next morning, we were told there was a train strike and only a few were running.  We waited and managed to wrestle our luggage on a packed train bound for Verona and Venice.  

If I have another day with a hotel that has WiFi, I'll post an update on our travels.  Now, we're hungry and I need to charge my computer's battery.  I've had lots of catching up to do. 

No comments: