Monday, May 12, 2008

Teaching used to be fun

When I started teaching, I didn't know what I was doing.  Fortunately, I had fabulous people to work with, and they helped me learn what college didn't teach.  I learned stuff every year after that.  

By the time I had taught for 20 years, I was pretty good.  The last two or three years were probably the best.  By that time I had seen programs come and go, could recognize bulls*** when I heard it, and knew the kinds of things that really worked with kids.

But, as I was reminiscing with friends, we agreed that it used to be more fun.  We had more freedom to explore, more autonomy, less tedious paperwork, and much less stress about standardized tests.  And I know that the students are not learning more now--maybe just different stuff.  I miss the relaxed attitude that learning could be fun, not just challenging.

3 comments:

Kay said...

Interesting that teachers in Utah feel the same way as teachers in Illinois.

Teacher Mama said...

I think children are probably learning less. Lack of parental involvement is so sad to me.

Today during tutoring, I was sitting with my student helping her with a science paper on the Solar System. She was so excited to learn about the speed of light, the composition of the planets, the asteroid belt, moons, stars, and that Pluto was no longer classified as a planet. I went far beyond the requirements of her assignment. She had so many questions. She told me how much she loved coming to my house to do homework, and how excited she was to read a book about the planets I let her borrow.

When she pulled away with her Mom, I felt sad that her mom hadn't had the experience I had just shared with her daughter. If she only knew how much her daughter longed to learn new things, she would probably involve herself more.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

You are right and it is very sad.