Thursday, May 22, 2008

Roma Traffic

I learned that there are two basic rules for traffic in Rome, Italy.

#1 If there are any rules, no one bothers with them.
#2 Because of #1, it's every man (or woman) for himself.

I have never seen anything so crazy, but I met a woman who told me that El Salvador was worse (partly because of the road conditions) and a man who said India was even more dangerous. Pardon me, but I'm not planning to drive in either place; Rome was adequate to scare the socks off me.

While we were there, we took a hop on and off bus tour around the city.  As we were coming back to the beginning of the tour, I took a short video from the upper deck of the bus. The pace is slower than normal, because of the confluence of traffic, but I think you'll get the idea.

2 comments:

Kay said...

Actually, you won't believe this but Cairo is the worst place for traffic ever. Ever. The cacophony of horns blasting away was quite hard to get used to. No one paid any attention to the traffic lights. I love how you wrote your description of Roman traffic. Thanks for the chuckle.

Great Grandma Lin said...

i was in rome, italy in 1964 first and only time...the traffic was scary. my son is off to india today and i worry for his safety. he's 6'8" tall so think he'll stand out there...