Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Things I missed while in Italy

I know I could be unusual (okay, okay I'm probably just odd), but while in Italy I really missed a tall glass of cold milk.  I guess Italians get their calcium from cheese, but I'm not a wine drinker and my kidneys rebel if I have too much carbonation, so I was left with water.  Now I like water, but I missed ice, and with the current value of the dollar, even water was expensive!  I couldn't help comparing having to order a liter of water (for 3 to 5 euros) in an Italian cafe to just asking for a glass of water in a U.S. restaurant.

As much as I enjoyed the food in Italy, I gained a greater appreciation for the melting pot that is America. I'm spoiled by the fact that within 15 minutes of my home I can have food from multiple countries (maybe not technically authentic, but good nonetheless).  And, if I want, I can have a tall, cold glass of milk.

4 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

would love to get to know you as I live near where you will be living in southern utah...thanks for commenting on my blog, are you interested in a writer's wordshop. i teach one monthly locally, let me know. lin

wispy willow said...

I agree with you totally about Italy... Well, most of Europe, actually. The first thing we tried to learn in every language in every country was, "Two glasses of water with ice, no gas, please"
My daughter and I are both truly terrible linguists, however, so it didn't always work out as we'd hoped. But, Italy has so many other things to enjoy, way more than pasta, that we loved it in spite of the tepid water. I'd go back to Florence and Barona in a heartbeat... well, if I could find a sugar daddy to pay for the trip.

Anyway... my name is Caryn. I'm a very good friend of Lin's and can tell you from personal experience that she's a marvelous person to get to know. Here's to your future friendship! Okay with you if I check in on your blog from time to time???

wispy willow said...

ha ha ha ha... I just read the rest of your posts. You're a fun lady!!! I would like to know more about MBT shoes. As an sxample of what I'd like to know... What makes them special? Where do you find them? What kind of foot problems do they alleviate? Are they even remotely cute? Will you forgive my gramatical oopsies? Okay... the last one had nothing to do with shoes. But, I'm a non teacher and have some horrific punctuation habits littering the spaces between other irritating verbal missteps.

I am always amused by the words people mis-use and mis-pronounce. Like relator for realtor. That's because I'm currently a realtor. I am also somewhat annoyed when even the most highly respected news announcers refer to The Human Immunodeficiency Virus as the HIV Virus. What?? It's either the HI Virus, or HIV. Why would you call it the Human Immunodeficiency Virus Virus? Bugs the heck out of me.
Anyway... back to you... I truly enjoy your posts. You gave me a few giggles. That's always a good thing on a rainy day.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

mom/caryn, welcome. Stop by and comment any time. I don't know whether you would call my MBT sandals "cute." I'll post a picture later where you can see them on my feet.

I'm encouraged that other people are bothered by redundancies (like HIV virus, ATM machine, PIN number). I thought maybe I was the only one.