Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hurts my ears

Some things people say just hurt my ears.  I guess it is my own fault for paying attention.

I was in a small store today, and a couple walked in.  The store employee said the standard, "Hello, how are you?"

The reply was "Doing good, how about yourself?"  

Any of you who know me, or have read my blog occasionally, know that "doing good" bothers me as a response to "how are you?"  "How about yourself" is just icing on the faulty language cake.  

I know geographical areas have speaking quirks.  Is that one as widespread as it seems to be, or is it mostly Utah?  I have heard it several times and it always bothers me.  

Breathe, in and out, in and out......

4 comments:

Kay said...

Actually, that doesn't bother me as much as the reply to "Thank You" being "No problem." It seems to me that means it could have been.
I prefer, "My pleasure" or "You're welcome."

Teacher Mama said...

I think this is a big Utah thing. Thank you for complaining. I'll continue to watch myself.

Kay said...

Hmm... I did sound irritated, didn't I? Sorry about that. Any sort of reply is actually fine as long as it comes with a smile.
:-)

Sheila Keller-Powell said...

I heard the NASA project director for the new Mars Phoenix rover say today..."Finding water on Mars is like looking for hay in a needlestack"...God bless those that metaphors their mix....hahahahaha