Saturday, August 2, 2008

Shopping like a man

I'm just "camping" here in hubby's small apartment.  I only have a few clothes, not planning to be here long.  However, my mother was invited to speak at a reunion about her great grandmother.  My sister brought Mom the 230 miles, she stayed with my brother and his family, and my only excuse for not going to hear her was my lack of appropriate attire. I've already heard the stories about my amazing pioneer great great grandmother, but I wanted to support Mom.  And since there are lots of clothing stores nearby, it was really no excuse at all. 

The problem was that I got all this information not quite and hour and a half before she was scheduled, and I knew it would take about 20 minutes to find the reunion location.  So I dashed to the nearest clothing store (it happened to be Ross), grabbed 5 pair of nice pants in two sizes and headed for the dressing room.  One pair fit well so I kept them and started for the shirts.  That was more difficult because I can't wear certain colors (browns, oranges, yellow, lavendar) without looking awful; I wanted something not too casual, but a little relaxed, not too bare, but not too hot.  I found a light-weight shirt with three-quarter sleeves in a bright blue and I was out of there.  I fought through the traffic back to the apartment, cut off the tags and put the clothes on, and tried to fix my hair (some day I'll blog about my trials with hair).

I made it and was able to support Mom, thereby earning several valuable points.

I was telling my brother about my shopping and he said, "So you shopped like a man."  I had to laugh because he was right.  But, he pointed out, a man wouldn't have tried the pants on in the store. He would have taken them home to try on and then sent the rejects back with his wife.

7 comments:

storyteller said...

Sounds like a busy time for you … with the move and all. Thanks for dropping by Small Reflections. How interesting that we’d both make this ‘phone change’ … I’ve added photos of Ms. Kitty and Molly to my phone, but may snap some sky and/or ocean views too. I don’t think I’ll be emailing any photos any time soon, but one never knows about these things.
Hugs and blessings,

wispy willow said...

GOOD JOB supporting your mom!

Unless it can be bought in a Hardware store or some kind of Outdoor/backpacking store, my husband doesn't even shop.
And he doesn't need to try on pants. I buy him a 36/34 and they fit... EVERY time. It's maddening. I, on the other hand, can fit into a range of three different sizes. Some are too tight, too high waisted, too low waisted, too long, too short.. and rarely, too baggy. So, until the garment industry finds a way to regulate sizes on women's clothing the way they do men's... I will continue to waddle into the dressing room with a stack of outfits for me to become discouraged trying on, and grab a shirt, pants and sweater off the rack that will fit my hubby perfectly. I cry foul!!

Rambling Woods said...

LOL Jo...but you did a good job! I don't like to shop for clothes, too much work. But I have spent hours and hours on the benches at various stores with my daughter...ahhh.. Those were the days..

Kay said...

Good for you for supporting your mom. I know it meant a lot to her. I HATE shopping for clothes, too. The only time I go is when my daughter is around to tell me what to buy. I'll bet you looked great and I'll bet your mom's speech was even more special because you were there.

Mare said...

Way to go, Jo.
I'm sure that your presence was better than any present you could have given your mom.
Re_shopping...I don't ever try on stuff in the store. And I look for Alfred Dunner sales, cause once you know what size you are, they will always be the same fit. Especially since retiring, other than casual is rare for me![Thank God.]

Great Grandma Lin said...

sounds fun, any excuses for shopping. i left my nightgown at our last motel so had to go shopping in santa fe at ross also. found a caftan that will do for only $8.99. usually i'm not that lucky and i had the whole family and hubby with me shopping but they went in a nearby bookstore and my dg-in-law and i shopped.

Teacher Mama said...

Are all men really as spoiled as my husband in that regard?