Thursday, August 21, 2008

Borrowing ideas

We were very lucky when I taught 6th grade.  Our science curriculum had a big emphasis on outer space and space technology.  It was fun to teach, and the best part was our fabulous field trip in the spring.  An hour's bus ride away is the Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center, built in the middle of an elementary school.  It was constructed--and is run--by the man who had the vision in the first place.  It has grown over time, and is always the most exciting, intense field trip we took.  It was a wonderful incentive for good work.

It is an amazingly high-tech simulation, where students take on the roles of officers on space ships.  It was loosely based on the Star Trek series, and still has a little of that feel.  What makes the simulation special is the reality.  Students all have duties--all of which are important and any one of which may be essential to the completion of the mission.  They have to make decisions, judgments, choices, and these direct the course of their mission.  Will they do the things that they need to do to be successful?  Will they have problems they don't know how to solve and suffer the consequences?  Can they work together?  Can the Captain effectively lead the crew?  Can they consider alternatives for decisions?  It is a wonderful feeling when the mission is completed successfully and the entire crew (class) cheers with joy.

Now that I've given some background, I'll get to the point.  Because my friend (who retired when I did) now works there, I still sometimes stop by their website and read the blog of the creator of this fabulous place.  I found some real gems there a day or two ago, and I'm borrowing a few to share.  I don't know if Victor made these up (he could have, he is that clever), or if he borrowed them from someone else.  I figure it's okay if I give credit where it's due.

1.  Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

2.  I read recipes the same way I read science fiction.  I get to the end and think, "Well, that's not going to happen."

3.  Have you noticed  since everyone has a camcorder in their car these days, no one talks about seeing UFOs like they used to?

4.  All of us could take a lesson from the weather.  It pays no attention to criticism.

5.  According to a recent survey, men say the first thing they notice about women are their eyes.  And women say the first thing they notice about men is that they're a bunch of liars.

6.  Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession.  I've come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

7.  Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

There are more, but I'll let wander there if you like.  It is a very cool place.  

5 comments:

Teacher Mama said...

I'm glad you reminded me to check out Victor's site. He is a clever fellow. I think I should plan a trip and take my nephews to Space Camp. I'm having withdrawls.

Great Grandma Lin said...

funny sayings. i like your slide show of grandkids. i'll have to try something like that too.

Kay said...

Thank you for giving me several chuckles. :-)

dellgirl said...

Thanks! I needed that, made my day a little bit brighter. Those were very interesting.

Rambling Woods said...

I need the one about breathing..I need to remember that...@:}