Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rainy day fun

I'm in South Carolina with my son's family for a week.  We try to make sure to see the grandkids several times a year.  I want them to understand that I'm the favorite grandma.

It rained all day today, my first full day here.  My hair-cutting 4-year-old granddaughter was still able to go to her swimming lesson because it was an indoor pool, but her 10-year-old brother's lesson at the outside pool was postponed.  We spent some of the day showing grandma how Wii Fitness works: yoga, balance, and aerobics.  I did fairly well for my first time; my Wii Fitness age is 15 years younger than my real age--and I didn't even cheat.  Of course I did the most basic skills at a beginner level.  The 10-year-old (and his mother) does the expert level in several things.

The 4-year-old and I played Candyland, the Disney princess version of Memory (matching game), and Hungry Hippos each several times.  We watched Enchanted (because grandma hadn't seen it), and talked and talked.  Well, more accurately, she talked and I listened and made appropriate comments.

We're hoping the rain lets up tomorrow so we can spend some time outside.  But, just in case, there are lots more games in the closet.


4 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

sounds fun, now if the electricity would just go out you could pretend to be pioneers and play some other games. enjoy your family.

Kay said...

I can see why you're the favorite grandma! I'm wishing sunshine for you tomorrow, too. You sure do have the most adorable grandchildren.

wispy willow said...

Well, sounds like you'd sure be MY favorite grandma.

I'll cross my fingers for sunshine for you... but, if it doesn't happen, a big bag of popcorn, some hot chocolate, and you are all that it would take to keep the kids happy and entertained inside for another day or two.

Teacher Mama said...

Logan loves my mom so much because she sits and does one-year-old things with him. Those things include putting small objects in containers, going on walks, picking up sticks and rocks, painting with watercolors, looking at small bugs, eating tasty treats, saying animal noises, reading stories, playing in the tub, and singing songs.

I imagine as he continues to grow she'll do bigger boy things with him. She'll probably always be his favorite. He actually likes her much more than he likes me.