Monday, August 25, 2008

Telemarketers

I thought the Do Not Call List was a wonderful thing.  For a number of years, the only solicitations I got were from charities (exempt from the list) and a few from companies already providing me with services (satellite television, phone companies, etc.).

Lately, however, I've noticed a resurgence of calls.  I don't know what's happened, but somehow some companies have gotten around the "List."  I used to laugh when I had a message left on my machine saying, "We can save you hundreds of dollars on your credit card balances."  As if anyone knew anything about my credit card balances.  I was sorely tempted to answer or call the number they left and ask them just how they planned to go about saving me all that money--just to listen to them squirm.

Today I happened to answer a call telling me that the warranty on my vehicle was about to expire and I would get no more notices--ha, ha.  I've had this same message on my answering machine several times.  This time I pressed #1 to reach a representative.  Without saying hello, he asked about the years of my vehicles.  Gosh, I would think that if he knew my warranty was lapsing, he'd know how old they were.  When I told him as much, he grouched about how I should have pushed #2 instead and hung up on me!

I guess there must be a few people who respond to telemarketers otherwise they would not be in business, but I have no patience for their intrusion.

7 comments:

storyteller said...

I’m with you on this. I hate telemarketers … and if one happens to get through, I interrupt them and let them know I’m on the Do Not Call list and will report them. I usually get an apology and a quick end to the call. My Explorer is a 2000 and I’m STILL getting those ‘notices about my warranty about to expire’ … so strange. Thanks for visiting my Fun Monday this morning at Small Reflections.
Hugs and blessings,

Great Grandma Lin said...

i agree and usually tell them to put me on their do not call list.

Rambling Woods said...

We have an unlisted number and are on the do-not-call list so we don't get many calls. I tell everyone I do business with that if they call, I won't use them again...

Carletta said...

I get that same call all the time. It's funny that I got it this morning even. ( That's almost eerie.)
Thankfully my caller ID screens my calls otherwise I would be such a scrooge when I answered all of them.

dellgirl said...

Add me to the "I hate telemarketing calls" bunch. I usually just hang up after the 1st few words out of their mouth (computer...whatever). If I'm in a goofy mood I'll mess with them. Let them go on and on then say some stupidly silly thing or ask a dumber than dumb question and make them hang up on me.

Sheila Keller-Powell said...

I hate those calls...and the annoying junk mail that accompanies them! I get an "emergency " a "last ever chance" "you will miss the opportunity for a low rate..." several times a week all trying to tell me that my "car warranty will soon expire!"
yada yada yada just more recycling fodder skp

wispy willow said...

I can add my name to the growing list of those who have little patience with telemarketers. I could kick em off a cliff without hesitation if it wasn't for my youngest son.

You see, he owned a telemarketing company during his middle twenties, and it paid for most of his college education.

When I get a wee bit sarcastic and toy with them, he chastises me and reminds me of how important those jobs are to some people. His employees loved their jobs and made pretty darn good money... So, I have to fight the urge to politely put them on hold until they realize I'm not coming back.

But, I hear ya! And I agree with ya!