Thursday, August 28, 2008

New word uses

I guess I should be adjusting by now; the rules for word usage have become so fluid it's difficult to keep up.

Using something differently from its normally accepted or intended way is REPURPOSING.

A person's influence or demeanor can be IMPACTFUL on someone else.

A television commercial said (I swear) that AARP is a name you can trust.  

How did it come about that we "book" a room, "take" a meeting, or "hit" a 9 iron (well, I guess for a few golfers that actually does happen)?  

Finally, I've been in the car quite a bit, listening to the radio.  Has anyone else noticed that many people don't enunciate all the syllables of their words--especially when talking pretty fast?   Sometimes multi-syllable words end up as mush.  There are those, I'm sure, who would say that as long as the listener understands, it doesn't matter.  They are likely some of the same people who think it doesn't matter how words are spelled, as long as we know what they meant.  Sorry, mark me down as someone who cares.



8 comments:

Mare said...

I am guilty of stupid, stupider, stupidest...but I do that on purpose! It kind of reinforces the stupidity of something.
Watching TV, I have been known to spout,"Speak the King's English!!"

Great Grandma Lin said...

are you talking about utahns? hope not.

Smittie said...

Mark me with the ones who care, too! Lately, I've been trying to enunciate better. Wish me luck. Now, if I could only like break my "like" habit!

dellgirl said...

Count me in the "I care" group. And, I promise not to jump up on my "high-horse" today - about teaching kids that it is all right to "spell-it-how-it-sounds" while practicing learning to write. Crazy!!!

Rambling Woods said...

Good post Jo..I do care. I was out for coffee with a friend today and some of the grammar we were hearing was making us wince..

Kay said...

Oh dear, you'd go crazy in Hawaii where so much "pidgin English" is spoken. I find myself sometimes falling into it and it makes my daughter laugh.

wispy willow said...

My husband speaks his own language. Seriously...I wish I could think of some of the words he makes up. I actually think they're kind of funny.

I hear expressions like "Get ON the car", and I don't know whether to cringe, snicker, or giggle.

One that used to bother me when I worked for the American Red Cross was, "The HIV Virus". Even Tom Brokaw said it. It drove me nuts!! It's either HIV or the HI Virus. Who would say, "The Human Immuno-deficiency Virus Virus"?

Anyway, the point here is, I feel your pain! But, I do get sloppy on occasion myself.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

It's wonderful to be in such good company.