Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Phone Crazy

I went shopping today--mostly just wandering and looking.  I needed a couple of odd things and I got them, plus a couple of pairs of shorts, and a couple of summer shirts.  If I'm going to spend two or more hours in more than 4 stores, I must buy something.  Isn't that some sort of unwritten rule?

Anyway, what I did notice today was about every third person was talking (or listening) on a cell phone!  Old, young, male, female, I've never noticed so many.  There was a table with a half-dozen teenage girls around it and three were using phones.  (I assumed they weren't talking to each other).  I heard a guy asking his wife what she would do if he brought something home, and heard his incredulous response, "You'd throw it away?"   I heard mothers giving instructions to children at home; a young mom pushing a stroller with one hand, carrying a child on her hip with the other, and talking with the phone propped on her shoulder; and a girl like recounting like whatever like happened like whenever.

I was wondering how people managed to communicate when they weren't immediately accessible and, ironically, as I was parking in Kohl's lot, my phone rang.  My son in South Carolina wanted to confirm a planned trip in October and tell me that my 4-year-old granddaughter (the blonde in my slide show) had decided she wanted shorter hair and used the scissors to get it started.  I can't wait to see the pictures.  

Then, just as I got inside the store, Mom called to check in and ask about a zip code she couldn't find. So one minute I was chuckling under my breath about how everyone needed to be talking to someone...and, boom, I was one of them.  To heck with owning stock in Exxon, I want Verizon, Sprint, AT&T--that's where the action is.

7 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

what's really interesting is to see a couple out for lunch or dinner together and both are talking to other people and totally ignoring each other...

Teacher Mama said...

Sometimes I turn my phone off for a day or two. It bothers people. I don't care. It is liberating.

Mare said...

Whatever did we do before all of the current technology? It baffles my mind.
My son calls often while he is grocery shopping, and other times we'll be talking and all of a sudden I'll hear,"Yes, can I have an everything bagel and a chocolate milk?" and I realize that I'm going thru a drive-thru!!
My brother has called me from his daughter's band concert, and also from church when Flo's favorite song[Let there be peace on earth] is being sung. I'll answer the phone and hear music playing, and I know it's him!

wispy willow said...

I wish you could see how hard this made me laugh. It's one of the things that I've been fascinated over for years.

I remember when I used to chuckle at people who were so perversely attached to their cellphones. I thought they must be pathetically insecure to have such a need for this electronic umbilical cord. Or I thought they should try checking their over-inflated sense of self importance at a valet service somewhere. I could NOT understand why people seemed so dependent on the ringing "chiclet" phones they carried with them EVERYWHERE!!

THEN... my daughter, who owned a couple of cell phone stores at the time, bought one for me and nagged me unceasingly until I started carrying it with me... Seems she thought she felt she needed access to my wise counsel and witty banter 24/7.

Omaheck. I can's believe how much I started using it once I got the hang of it. I could call my husband when we were shopping together at CostCo to let him know when I was ready to check out, instead of walking up and down the aisles for 25 minutes seaching for him. (HUGE store, wandering husband who can get lost in minutes)

BUT... I don't see any need to completely obliterate common courtesy in the name of keeping up the running commentary with my kids. If I'm out to dinner with someone, I generally don't take calls. Occasionally, at lunch, if I have a contract I'm working on, I'll take a brief business call... but, I try not too.

I don't understand a group of teens like you saw... five or six of them walking together through the mall, all talking to someone who isn't there. You'd think at least ONE of them would be interesting enough to hold the attention of a couple of them.

Anyway... enough of this drivel...
GREAT POST!!! I'm still laughing.

Rambling Woods said...

Great post..I only use mine if I really need to. And I don't text because I can't really see the buttons that well...LOL

dellgirl said...

Oh this is so funny! I could never understand why people needed to talk so much when out and about either. I'm with rambling woods (only use it when necessary and don't text because I can't see those little buttons well either). Also haven't quite figured out the doggoned code. Never seems to work very well when I'm in a hurry.

Kay said...

This is so funny. Actually, my son and daughter complain that I keep forgetting to take the phone off my charger and put it in my purse when I leave the house. I love having one but just can't remember to carry it with me.