Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Say what?

On the freeway heading to the airport in San Diego, I noticed an interesting sign.  It said SPEED CONTROLLED BY AIRCRAFT.  I wondered just how that was done. First of all, I didn't see any planes or helicopters. Second, just how do they control the speed on the freeway?  Grappling hooks?  Laser beams? Electro-Magnetic pulses? Low-flying "buzzing"? 

While at the beach, I saw two small planes towing banners for advertisers.  Maybe they tow signs that tell people when they are going too fast, but then how would they know the correct speeders would bother to read it?  What if the wrong people slowed down? Besides,that wouldn't really be "control" would it?
 
Someone needs to think before things like that are posted--especially for touchy people like me.  They may sometimes "monitor" speeds with aircraft, but control requires people on the ground.  I'd like to see an aircraft try.

9 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

I've seen those signs also, I think they are talking about monitoring or measuring your car's speed then relaying that info to a patrol car. At least that's what I've always thought but also looked up to see if they were monitoring. Maybe they should say monitored by satellite!!!

Jo, a retired teacher said...

It would have been fine if it had said "monitored" at all. The funny thing was thinking about how aircraft could "control."

dellgirl said...

Strange, huh? I too have seen confusing - duh - signs. Whenever I'm a passenger, I jot them down. Planned on writing something about them one day. Guess the only speed they can control by aircraft is the speed of the aircraft (they're flying in) itself. Makes you go ummmmmmmm...

Kay said...

This is very funny. It never occured to me what it was all about. I just figured they were somehow able to magically measure your car's speed and relay the message to a patrol car who would be right around the bend ready to get you.

Great Grandma Lin said...

me again you have been nominated for an award for blogging. see my blog for details. Lin

Teacher Mama said...

My cousin was recently driving through the gorge between St. George and Mesquite. A small airplane flying nearby ran out of fuel and had to land on the freeway. My cousin was barely able to stop before he ran into the plane.

Maybe that is what they are talking about.

caryn/mom said...

This post made me giggle. It's one of lifes mysteries. The signs were no doubt placed under the direction of a gentlemen perceived to be an engineering genius, and not someone educated in the fine nuances of language.

I passed a billboard last week that left me befuddled. I only know what a small portion of it was trying to tell me. It was like reading a manuscript. I was driving at 80 mph (oops! okay, I was speeding) and trying to read this thing. It completely diverted, not only my eyes from the road, but my mind from driving. I was past it way too soon to catch all of it. What's the point of that? Aside from the fact that it posed some level of danger... no one can read more than a few words when they're zipping down the highway, trying to avoid the blue Toyota that's weaving in and out of traffic, and changing either the radio station or the temperature control on the AC. What was accomplished?

Rambling Woods said...

Leave it to you Jo to post about things that I've seen and wondered about...Under Homeland Security, aren't we all being watched at all times....? GG

Mare said...

Kind of like : why do we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway??