Monday, July 28, 2008

Busy, busy, busy

It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm still here.  We've been trying to move my hubby to a small apartment and more stuff and me mostly to our home.  What a nuisance.  What will he need?  What should be at home?  What should I leave at the apartment for my time there? What things will he want at home for the long weekends he's there?  Fortunately, my brother is taking a lot of the furniture to put in a house or large apartment for his two daughters and a couple of other roommates while they finish college.  

 Besides that, our son's family drove up to our home from California for a week's visit and play.  When two adults and four active kids show up at a 2100 square foot house, it's pretty much chaos.  We have teased their parents about how they don't really pack for a trip, they move.  My gosh they bring a lot of stuff.  I don't know if it's a product of the times, or just these parents, but the kids seem to need gadgets.  They have PSPs, IPods, portable DVD players and stacks of DVDs, Nintendo DSs, and they even brought their Wii to hook to my television so they could race with Mario.  We did manage to go camping for a couple of days, fished a little, looked at the stars (you can see so many away from the city), burned marshmallows, and got good and dirty.

Then yesterday, hubby and I came back to the city to finish organizing his apartment and checking out of the townhouse, and the kids left today to return to California.  They realized early that the oldest, Devin, had left his new eye glasses at his great grandmother's house.  I retrieved them and sent them to him today.  If history is any lesson, all their stuff will be gone and my house will be neat as a pin.  It seems like too much work to me, I'd travel more lightly and have less to gather up....but then it's not me.

Now that hubby's small apartment has high-speed Internet, television, phones, and assorted other utilities, personal stuff basically organized, extra keys made, and his first homemade meal prepared and eaten, my work here is about done.  I'll stay several more days, then go home and finish putting away the stuff we took there.  Eventually we'll be done and just in one place, maybe one more year.

5 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow, i can see why you haven't blogged for awhile. yes, it's incredible how you clean your house for grandkids to visit, then they arrive and fill your whole house with their belongings and you can't even see the floor. it's fun to see them but much easier to visit them than have them come to your house. after you get settled in, and your husband's around-let's get together for dinner out on the town sometime as couples to get acquainted..we're off on vacation now for a few days.

dellgirl said...

I missed you, wondered what you were up to. Hoped you were having fun. I see you were, with the grands and their parents. Glad you're back.

Kay said...

You sound so calm, Jo. How do you do it? I really sympathize. I sure have been there, alright. You're right though...
Very soon it will all be done and you'll be all organized and settled and wonder how you did it. Thank you, thank you for visiting even when you're up to your ears with work.

wispy willow said...

I've walked in your shoes many a mile, Jo. I sympathize!! You LOVE having them there... but it takes a few days to recuperate from the visit after their car is loaded up and headed out the driveway..

The last visit with my daughter and her three youngsters was terrific! We cleaned up the trailer and they stayed outside. Their suitcases, pillows, favorite "b's" and "silky's" (blankets) and toys all stayed outside with them. We ate all of our meals on the patio. The only time the kids came in the house was to use the bathroom or to take a shower. It was great!!

It was a necessity as we've discovered that one of the grandbabies, our four year old, is extremely allergic to our dog. He doesn't just break out in a little rash... he can't breathe, eyeballs swell almost out of the socket, has to be taken to the emergency room kind of allergy. Pretty scary, so we took Pogo to a neighbor's and kept the toddler away from the dander filled carpet upstairs and all went well.

I really loved reading this blog!

Mare said...

It seems like I am the only one without grandkids...boohoo.
But I can relate to family coming to visit and my house is kinda small.
Seems like you can see light at the end of the tunnel re: downsizing to one house in a year or so. So, enjoy having complete control of the remote control until then!!