Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Mom


I spent a little time with my mother today and decided to write about her.  My mom is 17 1/2 years older than I am, married the day before she turned 17.  She dropped out of high school (Dad was three years older and just out of the Navy) and didn't ever manage to finish.  Somehow we kids got the message that education was important because 4 of the 5 graduated from college.  In addition, I have a Master's plus and my younger sister finished her Doctorate this year.  Our  sister who didn't go to college started in on a family and has the largest percentage of Mom's great grandchildren.

Mom says she is very lucky because she didn't get to know her own great-grandmother yet she already has 20 great-grandchildren who know and love her.  She enjoys cooking and is always trying to feed people.  No one makes better potato salad, chili, or homemade bread.  She can be counted on to have chips, candy, cake, and/or something in the crock pot.  She is self-sacrificing, gentle, generous, and unfailingly kind.

She and Dad were married for 59 years before his death a year ago, and until then she had never filled her car with gas.  She's had to stretch her boundaries now, and some things have been hard for her but she tries to hide her pain so others aren't uncomfortable.

My mom and I haven't always seen eye-to-eye and I know I've cost her lots of sleep.  I was sick (and in the hospital) a lot when I was small, I married too young to a guy she wasn't sure about,  I've put her through two open-heart surgeries (mine, not hers), and I don't always do the things she would like me to do.  But I have never walked in her home without hearing a cheerful hello and a happy-to-see-you smile.  She is a very special lady.  The picture was taken at a grandson's wedding.  


8 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

interesting how we don't really appreciate our moms until we are older and have been moms. then we see all they have done. my mom died 1 1/2 years ago and we didn't see eye to eye on many issues. wish we could have broken through the barriers and talked more, maybe someday in the future...

dellgirl said...

Your mom is beautiful. You can't beat beautiful and kind (and her other qualities you described). You are so blessed to have her for your mom.

wispy willow said...

She passed on that wonderful "Happy to see you smile.
It lights up both of your faces.

It always warms me to hear someone speak tenderly of their mother, and to know that they appreciate the priceless opportunitiy they have of spending time with them.

What a sweet and heartfelt tribute. Thanks you so much for sharing it with us Jo.

Mare said...

Very insightful. Your mom sounds like a great person. I remember my mom experiencing the loss of her husband[2nd],and she still misses him 24 years later. Sometimes life is hard.

Rambling Woods said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Mom with all the complexities of a human being thrown in....enjoyed it..

alicesg said...

Mother is great. I miss by mom. Your mother sounds like a great mother and happy for her for having so many great grandchildren. You are brave yourself too.

Kay said...

Your mom is beautiful and wonderful, Jo. She has a beautiful family and a terrific daughter in you. But two open heart surgeries? That must have been scary.

NanNan said...

Such a gracious lady, and I think you hit the nail on the head,, no matter the trials and tribulations we put each other through, what matters most is that happy to see you smile!! Thank you for introducing her !