Monday, July 14, 2008

How Does a Garden Grow?




I've missed a few days.  It may happen again if life, or lack thereof, gets in my way.  

We made our 600 mile round trip drive over the weekend (from temporary townhouse to permanent home) and stopped off at my husband's parents' home.  I decided I wanted to talk about my father-in-law and his pride and joy--his garden.  Every winter he pines away, stuck inside, waiting for the time he can get outside and get his garden ready for planting.  From April into September he is outside: tilling, fertilizing, planting, weeding, irrigating, coaxing, encouraging, fighting pests and wandering deer, worrying about high winds or hail storms, and supervising the harvest.  The only thing that can take him away for a few hours is a fishing trip.

He says that the garden is about 80 feet by 80 feet.  I know that it is amazing and weeds are not brave enough to intrude.  I've already shared in the early radishes, beets and greens are almost ready (this weekend), peas are ready, cabbage is getting close.  As summer winds up there will be tubs of tomatoes (the best you've ever eaten), lots of corn (to eat fresh on the cob and to freeze), beans, cucumbers, squash (including zucchini), chard, onions, peppers, carrots, and finally potatoes.  I'm sure there are several plants I have forgotten.  It is a bounty he gladly shares with his family and friends.   That doesn't even count the numerous apple trees, along with an occasional peach, pear, plum, and apricot trees that cover the rest of his property.  Most of the fruit trees suffered from a frost this spring, so this is not a year for abundant fruit. My mother-in-law is relieved about that, she canned so much applesauce last year that she's glad for a year off.

My father-in-law was 81 last month.  He weighs about the same as he did when he was 18, and can walk forever.  I think his love for the garden is a part of what keeps him in such good physical condition.  He has had a health challenge or two, but he bounces back and spends the summers in his favorite spot.   He and my mother-in-law will celebrate their 60th anniversary in December.  It is good to remember that age is just a number, not a description.

7 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

wonderful garden, it certainly tastes better fresh out of the ground...anything and every thing. A garden also teachs you lots about life...

dellgirl said...

Oh, this is soooo beautiful! I love gardens. I love gardening! Haven't had the time or inclination for a long time. It is either too hot, too cold, or too wet here in Houston. Then when the weather is JUST right, it's the mosquitos. The minute I walk out the door they attack me. They don't seem to bother anybody else like that - but me.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Mosquitoes do seem to prefer some people to others. I'm apparently not very tasty, but my daughter-in-law who lives in SC is like you--yummy.

Teacher Mama said...

I planted my first garden this year since my childhood. It is healthy to work in the dirt. We just picked our first tomato.

wispy willow said...

WOW!! Now that's an inspirational picture and post. The garden is what mine wants to look like when it grows up. Ours is 20' by 20' and it's all we can do to keep the morning glory out. We dig, they pop back up, we did some more, and on and on it goes. But, things are finally beginning to look pretty, and produce a little bit.

How marvelous to be so fit and full of vitality at 81. Your mom and dad sound like great people to know and look to for an example. It gives me hope that if I continue to dig in the dirt and tend to nature... I might get to the point where walking a mile doesn't leave me panting for breath and begging for a grassy slope to sleep on.

Rambling Woods said...

True gardeners seem to be busy at it all the time. I like to get done with what needs to be done and move on. But this is an amazing garden...

Mare said...

Age is only a number...but being married 61 years...holy mackeral!!That gardening thing-is a direct connection planet earth. They seem like real people who are real ly blessed.