Monday, October 6, 2008

Men have it easy!

It must be so easy to be a guy.  I'm not talking about supporting families or fighting wars.  I'm talking about something much closer--getting dressed.  I was thinking about this when watching the vice-presidential candidates debate.  It was so unfair that Sarah Palin had to wear heels.  Who, exactly, made these rules?  Where is it written that for a woman to look really good she has to walk on her toes?  If men had to wear panty hose, or 3-inch spike heels, the idea would have gone bust years ago.  No, it wouldn't have even made it past the design stage.

Even pants are unfair.  A man always knows how his pants will fasten.  We, on the other hand, could have a front zipper for the right hand, or a front zipper for the left hand, or a zipper on the side (usually the left), or a zipper in the back.  It could be topped by a button, a snap, hooks and eyes, or just a zipper to the top.

Men need slacks in shades of brown, gray, or black, and shoes in black and brown. Pretty much any color shirt can be worn with any slacks.  Getting dressed is a cinch. Women have so much more to think about.  Consider the new "shape wear" (like Spanx) for women...there are always more kinds of uncomfortable underwear to make us look better.  I saw study results once that said almost all women who look in a mirror see something they don't like and want to improve.  Most men look and think they look pretty good.  I don't see any future market for men's reshaping undergarments.  Good luck getting men to wear them.

And don't let me get started on hair; my hubby runs a comb through his.  Voila.  Being a male would be so much easier; but whatever would I do with all my spare time in the mornings?

9 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

but you know what I can be dressed faster and ready to go way before my husband...we are happy though that we can wear slacks and jeans most of the time. my grandma always wore stockings and a girdle everyday and didn't own any slacks. So some things are better.

Mare said...

I have to agree with you. No major fuss over hair, shoes, makeup, jewelry, no lines fo the bathroom.
However, while they never have to do the labor and delivery of the babies, they also don't get to expeience having a life within them.

dellgirl said...

I'm with you. And, I have often pondered the idea that I'll bet you a man invented high heels. What ever made him think (and perpetuate the idea) that 'walking on tiptoes' with the balls of your feet burning like a forest fire was good.?! Good for who?whom?whatever? Good for him to look at...is all I can think of.

My teenage through forty something year old self would never have thought so. But, my 60+ year old self sure does.

Sheila Keller-Powell said...

My husband says men dress the way they do because, "There are only 8 basic colors in a Crayon Box..so all those other "shades" of colors are insignificant" So following that pea-brained logic: brown and blue match, orange and green match, purple and green match...oiy.

Rambling Woods said...

I wish women's undergarments were as comfortable as a man's...Would a guy wear a bra?

Joyce's Journey said...

The women in blogland are certainly coming up with some good ones lately and I just love it! Jo - this is so funny and so true!!
Men did probably invent all those things that give us discomfort and they would surely never do the same. You gave me quite the chuckle today and the comments left are great also! I always love coming to visit with you!!

wispy willow said...

This is no joke. My hubby can't understand why I'm always taking my bra off. I NEVER wear it when I think I can get away with not wearing it. I have some pretty horrific tales about times when I've taken it off in places I probably should have left it on... but, those are stories for another time. When he asks me why I can't just "toughen up" I remind him that he has never been called upon to wear a jock strap for 12-16 hours a day... and if he ever is, he may find that he at last understands my reluctance to bind myself in those miserable inventions of a twisted mind.

I also resent men being able to relieve themselves standing up and without undressing...and only now and then. If you'd ever gone for an afternoon drive with Wayne, you'd know why this is a significant thing to me. In the first place, he can drive for EVER without emptying his holding tank... And when he decides he has too... he just casually strolls out behind a bush anywhere we happen to be, turns his back, and ...voila! I on the other hand need to stop four times to his one... and have to look for MAJOR cover everytime as I need to bare my essentials to accomplish the task at hand. Is that fair?

I won't even get started on the stepping out of the shower, shaking his head, brushing his teeth and being ready to make his way in the world, compared to my morning regimen.

GREAT post!

Kay said...

I agree with you totally! The high heels are just ridiculous! I won't wear them. Thanks so much for keeping me company on my trip, Jo. I love it when I see your comments!

Teacher Mama said...

I hate how men's pants come in lengths and widths, and women's don't. Hello! Women's legs are not all the same length! What idiot came up with women's sizing?

Thanks for the apostrophe help. I suspected as much. I knew I could count on you for help there.