Monday, October 13, 2008

To add or not to add, that is a question.

My own hormones dwindled away years ago. So, I tried to find a small, biologically similar supplement to stall the onset of what I saw as real old age.  The results are....mixed.  I found that I didn't like taking as much as the prescription called for, so I spread the dose over two, sometimes three, days.  I figured too little was safer than too much.  I wish I knew how I would feel without any at all, but I'm too chicken to find out.  Some of the side effects of being hormone-less are just darn uncomfortable. 

Now, however, what the heck is going on?  Suddenly I'm breaking out.  I didn't have acne when I was a teenager, why when I'm closing in on 60?  Lately I've been tearing up at the dumbest times: a person on a television show gets a wish or a book has a touching ending, whatever.  Do I need more hormones or less?  I'm good about vitamins, get a little exercise,  try to eat healthy foods, take good care of my skin, what's going on with me?  I'm just venting, but other than trying to drink more water I don't know what to do.  Any accumulated wisdom would be appreciated.  

6 comments:

wispy willow said...

Gads! I can't even remember being in my fifties on a really good day, and I've never taken hormones.
I just truck down the rocky road of aging with hot flashes, odd pains here and there and (yup) everywhere, forgetfulness, being cold all the time... I can't remember what else. I did mention forgetfulness, right?

But, I will sympathize with you. Getting older should be fun. It WOULD be fun, if it wasn't for the breakdown of everything from my earlobes to arches.

Hope you have some friends out there with sage advice, and that you get your thermostat regulated soon.

Great Grandma Lin said...

I hate taking pills and have avoided hormones. i would say work with your doctor but maybe you are just taking these from a health food store. that makes it hard. I'm currently taking high blood pressure and diabetes meds...and I hate pills. But need some intervention because I do not want a stroke or to have to take insulin...growing old is not for the faint of heart but there are lessons to be learned and examples to set for our children...

Rambling Woods said...

Oh dear..I can't take any hormones so I can't help you out there. The symptoms sound like what I have down to a tee. I don't know anyone on hormones to even ask...it is kind of awful I know, but either it gets better or you learn to cope better, except the night sweats which I really hate...

Teacher Mama said...

No help from me. I'm trying to figure out the I just had a baby hormones. They are the bane of womanhood.

dellgirl said...

Oh, dear dear dear.Maybe I shouldn't have stopped here, hot flashes? That almost took me out of here. Night sweats? Me too. I kept the a/c so cold hubby nearly froze to death, even had (have) a floor fan at the foot of the bed, blowing DIRECTLY in my direction - all night, no matter what season. Didn't want to take harmones as I had already been placed on B/P meds in '96-97.Sorry, I have no advice, just a string of ailmments and such to add to the list.Before the on-set of 'meno?!!!' there was cramps,PMS,bloating,irregular periods, hair bumps,and all that young female crap!!!!!

OH, GOOD LAWWWDY!!! IF IT AIN'T ONE THING, IT'S ANOTHER.

There now, don't'cha feel better!

Sheila Keller-Powell said...

You've already heard my rants and raves about hormones and breast cancer...you've seen me as a pastey white,bald, scarred and scarved woman. Chemo put me into an instant crash course of menopause. I can't take any hormones...the hormones FUEL cancer growth. I am living and surviving night sweats, and zits, and hot flashes, and thinning drying EVERTHING....these symptoms are still easier to deal with compared to surgery after surgery, chemo and radiation. Weigh the difference please. I don't want to see anyone that I care about go through what I went through (and am still going through two years later)because of HRT keeps the hot flashes away. If you get B/c you'll go through these symptoms and not be able to take anything...nada, nothing..
I hate hot flashes, but I hate B/C more. I'll take hotflashes anytime.