Friday, January 16, 2009

Glass half empty or half full?

I was a little depressed yesterday.  After I read the morning newspaper, it seemed that there was no good news.  The glass was definitely half empty.  Here are some samples of the headlines:

Stocks extend decline as bank worries persist 
Utah 13th in nation for ’08 foreclosures
Islamists attack Somali forces
Crackers pulled in salmonella scare 
Financial meltdown not a result of deregulation, free enterprise
Teacher held on voyeurism 
Vets given wrong Rx

It takes more than a newspaper to bring me down, but there are always the other worries in addition.  Our children or grandchildren have struggles and problems we wish we could prevent.  There are worries about parents, other family members.  My hubby just did a rough estimate of our taxes and that is an entire post for another day.  All in all, it just felt like there was not much good news, no reason to be optimistic.

For whatever reason, today's headlines were different.  Maybe the newspaper even thought yesterday was too much of a downer---though I doubt it.  Perhaps it is just life's ebb and flow. From today:

‘Miracle on the Hudson’ Pilot saves lives of all aboard crippled craft
Bomb fails to injure Iraqi Official
DVD can teach autistic child what a smile means 
Economists predicts midyear turnaround
Astronaut speaks to students

Good things can be newsworthy.  I think what we need right now is more optimism.  This is an amazing place to live, populated with millions of talented, hard-working, insightful, creative, dedicated people.  We'll be okay--better than okay.  There is nowhere I'd rather be.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you Jo..I feel a sense of dis-ease with all that is going on and it makes me feel depressed too..

Great Grandma Lin said...

that was amazing what the pilot did, a cool hand luke he was, staying calm under those circumstances. have to remind your self to act instead of react to all the gloom and look for the good. it's there hiding.

Joyce's Journey said...

Yesterday's news about the miralce on the Hudson was exceptional. It could have been such a tragic event, but it brought such joy to many to hear the stories of those on board. We needed that.

Mare said...

I get so upset when the media reports all of the details of child and/or animal abuse. It is always too much info, and I'm afraid that there will be copycats.
When I was teaching 5th grade, we did a newspaper called 'Good News". It is possible to do.

dellgirl said...

Happy birthday to your baby brother. Yes, they are very special. Thanks for your good wishes for/to Jordyn. I will tell her.

dellgirl said...

You're right. The news can be very depressing. I don't watch or listen often and I stopped taking the daily paper. I usually try to tune in to the news once or twice a week to keep current. Other than that, I steer clear of it.

Kay said...

I was impressed with the fact that the pilot went up and down the aisles two times to make sure everybody was off the plane safely before he got off himself. It restores your faith in people.

wispy willow said...

I'm an incurable Pollyanna... If optomism could kill you, I'd have been placed on a slab in the morgue a decade ago.

I read headlines... if it's bad news I try to think of a way I can make it better. If there's a way, I do what I can... if there isn't, I turn it over to God and let it go. If it's good news, I pass it along.

I loved the story of this self sacrificing pilot who took the responsibility he held for the people on his plane to heart. There was a moment when he had some VERY bad news. He was facing a crisis of huge proportions. He could lose his plane and could lose his passengers. He assessed the situation, determined what he could do... and he did it. His children can be very proud of the character of their father.

Good and ill all starts with the individual... I think I'll let him be the cornerstone of my month. I'll try and follow his example.

You are absolutely right. We will be better than okay. And we are in a great place to be!

storyteller said...

Like mom/Caryn I tend to be an incurable optimist ... but the newz can pull me off center if I listen ... so sometimes I don't and it helps. The 'miracle on the Hudson' was a powerful reminder of the possible.
Hugs and blessings,