Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bon Appetit

I know French food is supposed to be..ah....fancy.  I know France gets credit for fine cuisine (like Italy for lovers, Germany for cars, Switzerland for banks, you get the idea).  What I don't understand is why American chefs find it necessary to use French terms to describe things.  Wait, yes I do.  It makes the foods and preparations sound so much more elegant, and pretentious, and difficult.  

Duck confit, topped with fresh raspberry compote and creme fraiche; or steak tartare covered with aioli and surrounded with a rich bechamel. 

Doesn't that sound...expensive and delicious?  What about this?

Duck cooked in its own fat, topped with fresh raspberries in syrup and sour cream; or raw steak with garlic mayonnaise and white sauce. 

They're right, the first one sounds much better, even without all the stress and accent marks that I've left off the French words.  Just be sure you know the meanings when you order.  Then you can avoid any unpleasant surprises when you get your food.

6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

raw meat? I think I'd choose the fruit dish. We do have a local restaurant that serves fancy dishes like this with high prices. Never been there...

Mare said...

You are right about making sure that you know what those unfamiliar menu items really are...reminds me of a story that my brother shared with us. He found out what he really had eaten after the fact!
Give me an Egg Mc Muffin anyday!!

Kay said...

It sounds delicious though. My brother ordered what he though was beef in Japan. It was...beef tongue.

wispy willow said...

This is a giggle. Duck in it's own fat. urp, gag! Duck fat is disgusting!

I remember the first time I ordered steak tartar. Well... the first and the last time I ordered it. I like rare meat, but, I've seen cows hurt worse than that get up and walk away. Nasty! but... surprisingly tender.

I'd like restuarant menu's to offer translations.

Great Grandma Lin said...

you're tagged, see my blog today

dellgirl said...

This makes me glad I'm predictable when it comes to eating out. I normally stick with the tried and true...things I know. And, I always like my meat all but burnt, want every single "nella" (salmon and his whole entire family)...killed - dead.