Monday, January 12, 2009

False Advertising

I have lived long enough to know that advertising is just propaganda for companies to lure consumers.  I have talked with kids about how cool toys look in commercials, compared to how they look after they are purchased.  Camera angles, action, close-ups all serve to make the toys seem so desirable.  By the time kids are 12, they've been disappointed enough times to recognize the game--but sometimes they still want to believe.  Me too.

I've eaten a few TV Dinners in my time and have often wondered if the companies realize how little their actual dinners have in common with the illustrations on the boxes.   Then, again, if they put a real pictures of the dinner on a box, who would buy it?

I don't want to unfairly pick on LeanCuisine, but that's what I have.  As long as I'm eating a frozen dinner, I might as well have it calorie controlled so I feel better about it.  It is also obvious that I thought the chicken and rice dinners held promise.  

Even if I took it out of the container and arranged it nicely on a plate, I couldn't make it match the picture on the box.  The number of chicken pieces is off, the ratio of meat to rice doesn't match, and the whole thing is saucier.

For years, I've been tempted to take pictures like these and send them to the companies, but they probably already know.  I wonder if they know that we know?  If I run into any that have pictures more representative of the way the food actually looks, I'll let you know.  Don't hold your breath.

8 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

interesting...expectations and what you really get are often so different in many aspects of life...

Anonymous said...

I know..the so called diet dinners are really deceptive and small...

storyteller said...

You make some excellent points and it might be interesting to see what kind of response you'd get from the companies if you sent them photos like these. Seems like it couldn't hurt and it might produce positive results. Once upon a time (when I was working and trying to manage weight all at the same time) I used such meals, but now that I'm retired ... I prefer REAL food. That's why I'm a Weight Watcher ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Kay said...

I've noticed that before when I used to bring those frozen meals to school for lunch. They were never as good as they looked. I love that you actually took photos and posted them. Good for you!

wispy willow said...

This post made me chuckle. It's all so true!!

I think your very thoughts every time I see any kind of food commercial. The hamburgers I buy at Burger King and Wendy's aren't even a distant relative to the ones they show in their tempting commercials. The slow motion shots of the cheese on pizza, the barbecue sauce dripping off of a cheeseburger laden with tomatoes, the plates heaped with shrimp... what prevarications!

And isn't it interesting how they'll show a top of the line, fully loaded car zippping along the highway and then flash the price for the bare bones, basically equipped with a steering wheel and a brake pedal, model on the screen. Sure you can purchase one for $9,999. But, if you want it to come with tires and upholstered seats... well, that'll be $22,000.

Joyce's Journey said...

Imagine being one of the advertising people that have to come up with these things!!

Mare said...

If you write to the company, they will apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. They will send you coupons for free meals for your trouble. However, those would be MORE of the meals that weren't so good!!Catch 22?
How 'bout thse commercials for erectile disfunction?

Ms Opinionated said...

That looks disgusting but I am not surprised. Nothing is as it appears these days. Its why I am grateful that my mom had sense to teach me how to cook. It doesn't hurt being Italian either - you know how we love our food....

My advise is to keep it real - at least this way you know what you are ingesting. NO wonder we have so many diseases, I blame it all on how food is processed.

Just my opinion :)