Monday, December 15, 2008

Love that humidity.


My hair is naturally curly.  During my teenage years, when the styles were smooth and very controlled, it gave me great consternation.  I put relaxers on it (some of the first ones--very icky), I ironed it,  I used pop cans with both ends removed as rollers,  and I generally fought with it.  Thank goodness the style was not the very straight look that so many young girls have now; I don't know which would have survived--my hair or my attitude.  I generally chuckle when I hear someone talk about how teenagers do things to be unique.  To be comfortable together, conformity is what matters.  (How else do you explain the odd, sagging pants?)

But, I'm wandering.  In lovely, humid Hawaii, I was uncontrollably curly.

It did make mornings easier because there was nothing to be done with my hair.  It was going to do what it was going to do, and no matter how it looked as we left the house within an hour it was going its own way.

It got even more interesting in a little wind--like on our catamaran tour along the magnificent Na Pali coast.   In addition to the scenery, we got a glimpse of a whale or two, watched flying fish (and a bird try to catch one), and had a group of Spinner Dolphins swim with us for a long time.

The captain said they enjoy riding the bow wave--kind of like dolphin surfing.  

Who cares whether or not my hair was out of control, it was very cool! 

7 comments:

Kay said...

You realize people pay money to get their hair curling like yours are. I don't think I've ever been on a boat and seen dolfins swimming alonside. Wow!

Mare said...

I would love to be so close to the dolphins that accompanied your trip! And in my 20's, I used orange juice cans to roll my hair...looking back on it...amazing. So glad that I am past that hoopla!

Great Grandma Lin said...

i remember giving up on my hair in hawaii. it looks yucky all the time until i discovered a small bottle of very inexpensive hair spray which helped control it somewhat. lovely memories and photos. thanks for sharing your trip.

storyteller said...

I love to see dolphins swimming like this! I'm with Kay about the hair. My hair (in it's natural state) LOOKS like it's BEEN ironed and the only way to deal with it is to get a perm so that's what I do every three months. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence I guess. I wish I had your hair, and you had mine. LOL

Thanks for your lovely comments on my blogs this morning. As I've said before, it's a good thing no one (other than Molly and Ms. Kitty) is counting on me for anything because I can be a bit obsessive.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh..look at that water..I remember using orange juice cans to straighten my hair out..Have fun..

dellgirl said...

Thanks for the memories about hair and the teenage years. Thankfully, I learned to love 'ponytails' in my later years, keeps the frizz tamed and keeps me from looking like I have a puff-ball on my head. I can only wear it down if it's cold/cool and there is no wind, at all.

wispy willow said...

ha ha ha ha ha ... I SO relate to your post. I look like Betty Boop stuck her finger in a light socket when I'm in the Islands. I just give up any and all hope of having pretty hair and enjoy the beauties that Kauai and Oaho have to offer.

Only someone who's never been able to take her hair out of a ponytail while at the beach, and shake it out softly on her shoulders can appreciate the longing you and I have for smooth, straight locks... at least now and then.

I dio have to say that you looked awfully dang cute in that picture, though. Makes it a tad hard to sympathize completely.