Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Creative Cons

I was reading about a new scam where someone calls you about a charge on your credit card. The article says they give their name, number, and lots of official-sounding information. They say they are suspicious of a charge put on your card and worry that it is not yours. What it all boils down to is they want the 3 or 4-digit extra code from your card.  The dishonest seem ever-inventive.

Then today, I got a call from a 708 area code.  Now I don't even know where that is, so I didn't answer.  They left a lovely message about how I had filled out a form to win a new Lincoln Navigator and they had good news.  I needed to call this toll-free number.  Well, I gave up filling out entries to win anything years ago; the fine print about dropping from the "Do Not Call List" put an end to any wishful thinking about prizes.  I don't know what they are trying to get from me, but it's not going to happen.  

About a year ago, not long after my father died, I untangled my mother from something she had unwittingly agreed to while paying a credit card bill.  They claimed she had accepted, she didn't think she'd done any such thing.  In the end, they were good about refunding her money, so they weren't as unscrupulous as many.

I used to get almost daily calls about how "they" could save me hundreds of dollars on my credit card bills.  I sometimes considered calling back and asking them to explain how they could do that when I didn't carry a balance.  Recently I've been hearing that my automobile warranty is about to expire and I need to call before it's too late.  I did answer once and when they wanted to know the years of my vehicles, I asked why they didn't know if they knew about my warranties.  They hung up on me.

It is too bad that we have to be so cautious and suspicious of motives, but crooks no longer just rob stores or steal cars.  Are there more thieves than there used to be, or are they too lazy now to leave their computers or telephones?  Occasionally I long for the simpler days of my youth.  The bad guys were easier to spot.

7 comments:

Kay said...

My husband went to help our older neighbor when she moved away. She was coming down with Alzheimers. He was amazed at how many credit card companies and con artists had been after her. He had to spend quite a bit of time trying to get the village to provide some kind of social agency support for her. Helping her with her finances, Art discovered that she had lost all her money from the sale of her house to these unscrupulous people. It was so sad. We finally had to track down her nephew in Michigan to come and help her. It really is scary that there are that many dishonest, evil people out there.

storyteller said...

Yup ... we have to be ever vigilant about such things and it's a shame, but it's part of life today. I've experienced each of the 'scams' you've detailed in this post and I never fill out 'contest' forms anywhere any more.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

It is sad..we are on the no-call list and never give a phone number unless really necessary and get almost 2 phone calls that aren't expected///

Great Grandma Lin said...

i've even started getting text messages on my cell phone about buying this or that-does it ever end?

Mare said...

It is really sad that you have to be so vigilant to be safe from crooks. I remember from somewhere that before you give out any valuable info, you should ask yourself..Who initiated the call?
If you did, fine. But if they did, be very careful!!

Mare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mare said...

That deleted one was exactly the same as the first one. I must have hit enter 2X...oops!