Friday, December 19, 2008

Nervous about too much water

One of the lovely things we did while in Kauai is rent 2-person kayaks for a leisurely paddle down the Hanalei River.  I say 'leisurely' because hubby did most of the paddling--he was good at it, me not so much.  There was sunshine, flowers on the water, and scenery galore. 

We were surprised to see a Bison in Hawaii.  This one had an interesting hitchhiker.  She came to the river for a drink, but her bird friend hopped off when we were too close.


As we traveled downstream toward the ocean, I got increasingly nervous.  I'm not a strong swimmer and I could just imagine us being swept out and dumped by the waves.  Hubby laughed at me and got closer to the river's mouth than I was happy with, but we were fine (other than my increased heart rate).  We saw quite a few people standing on and paddling surfboards.  They made it look pretty easy, but we were thinking that balancing on a board, while working a paddle was probably pretty darn good exercise.

You can see more detail in the pictures by enlarging them.  More water sports--not mine--to come.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jo...That looks so relaxing and how nice of hubby to do the work...

Great Grandma Lin said...

lovely photos, thanks for the introduction to another island-we've only been to oahu last jan. would love to go again now would be nice....I'd be nervous also.

wispy willow said...

I absolutely LOVED kayaking in Kauai! I loved everything about Kauai! I could live there wearing capri's and flip flops from now until death and never miss a single snowflake or 115 freeway traffic jam.

I look forward to every snapshot you send our way. They may make me a wee bit envious of Kay in her island paradise... but, I'll cope!

I really don't HATE winter. But, I am a California surfer chick at heart, so I miss wiggling my toes in warm sand and the glittering waters of a coastline.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who lives in Huntington Harbor and has a pair of Kayaks ... but we don't take them out into the ocean. Loved the photos you shared but understand your apprehension.
Hugs and blessings,

Kay said...

Terrific photos, Jo! You really had a great time. I didn't know there were bison on Kauai either. I can see why you'd be nervous with high water. Hawaii has been having a tough time with high water.