Thursday, November 13, 2008

We're all simple, slow creatures?

I have mentioned before how advertisers mangle language.  Not only do some of them try to sound more educated than they are (thereby disclosing their shortcomings), but some must think the audience is too distracted or simple to understand something said succinctly.  Maybe they are right.  Perhaps some of us have to be beaten about the head to get the message, because in the past few days I've noticed several unnecessary redundancies in advertisers' messages.  (Did you notice the one I included purposefully?)

Something has become increasingly more polluted.  I guess that's worse than just increasingly polluted or more polluted?

A retail store is having a sale with a savings of 50% off.  Just in case we didn't know that 50% off is a savings?  Or a savings of 50% means a lower price?  Surely we wouldn't understand that we would be buying something for 50% of it's original price?

And finally a case where we both agree about something.  I guess just one of us could agree, but then who would we be agreeing with?

I know, some of you will think I'm being terribly nit-picky and getting annoyed by the most foolish things.  That's okay.  It could be like worse.  I could like insert like useless words like constantly.  Or I could IM ppl 4 what I wanted 2 say.  l8r.  bbfn lol.

6 comments:

H said...

Yes you are being nit-picky! And in my memory have always been. I know I am not the only neice/nephew that was very hesitant to speak if Aunt Jo was around, she would surely correct whatever you just said. Sometimes I think of that when I post on my blog because you may be reading! Thanks for not correcting me thus far.

storyteller said...

I can relate to all you’ve shared. With instant messaging, spelling is rapidly becoming a lost art … and grammar as well. That shared … I try to look beyond these egregious issues because life’s too short to be frustrated or irritated by things beyond my control. I try to set a good example (for the most part). To my chagrin, I make errors in my own posts and comments occasionally. Such is life ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

wispy willow said...

Your examples are funny indeed. I enjoyed the giggle.
Nit picky? Yeah, maybe, but so what?
We all have little things that grate on us. Yours is at least a worthy cause, unlike my hot drinks in mugs, cold drinks in glasses nonsense.

The proper use of our language is an important and well worth fighting for. I commend you for caring the way you do.

Great Grandma Lin said...

nothing wrong with being careful with language. We laugh daily at our newspaper the Spectrum for their misspellings and strange titles that make no sense.

Rambling Woods said...

You sound like my husband Jo..but it is very true...LOL

Kay said...

It could be the teacher in you. I find I have to be careful with my nephews now that I'm in Hawaii. I keep wanting to correct some of their behavior. I do believe the language in Hawaii could drive you crazy, Jo since many here speak pidgin.